Drastic Price Drop in Value in the 99-04 Mustang GT's

RED2001GT

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
I was on Ebay looking at all of the 99-04 Mustang GT's and I noticed that 99% of them are selling for much less than what sellers are asking for them. I also did a KBB pricing on my Premium fully loaded 5 speed manual 2001 Mustang GT with only 4,500 original miles on it and the trade-in value for it is only $7,400. However, the retail value for this same exact vehicle is currently at $11,500.
It seems that all of the 99-04 Mustang GT's have dropped down bigtime in value.

Just 2 months ago, I was going to trade it in for my brand new 2008 Charger R/T Road & Track Package and the Dodge dealer offered me $11,500 for it. I ended up deciding to keep my GT so I can use it as a 2nd vehicle because my wife's car has a lot of miles on it right now (over 135,000 miles) and she will need a vehicle if anything goes wrong with her car anytime in the near future.

Anyways, I was shocked to find out that the values of our Mustang GT's have dropped so much. WHY have the trade-in values dropped so much on the 99-04 GT's? Also, WHY are the 99-04 GT's that are all selling on Ebay selling for very cheap money. Is it because of the very high gasoline prices? That's the only reason that I can think of as to why the prices of the 99-04 Mustang GT's are selling for really chaep money.

Can anybody else in here tell me why this is happneing? I always thought that the 99-04 Mustang GT was not going to drop bigtime in value like it has. Especially if it is in mint condition and when it has under 5,000 original miles on it.

• Sponsors (?)

the dealer would put that same 01 gt with 4,500 miles on the lot with a price tag of 17,000 dollars! its the sellers faults. if they didnt let them go for so little money the price would wouldnt be as low.

the dealers arent going to change their prices. if they get a low milage car its going on the lot for a high price. people prolly just dont want to deal with gas prices.

however, if everyone that had a gt didnt sell it for cheap and held them until they got what they think they deserved, the demand would go up. they would be hard to buy so people who really wanted one would offer higher price. that would just turn into a cycle.

Most dealers in my area dont go by KBB,they use nada of which is a lil higher values.But I think alot of prices do have some to do with gas prices.The Ford dealers around are trying to push trucks like crazy.And all the used dealer lots are packed full of trucks.Now last month while I was lookin for a new stang they were not easy to find on a retail dealers lot.Gt's in my area are still selling for a good amount tho,a gt with 60k on the clock(01-04) will go for 13-15k,when I traded mine last month they only gave me 5600 for mine but considering the condition it was in that was prob a fair amount,the paint was in terrible shape,plus while pulling the tranny I found that the Kmember was buckled and where the K mounts was compressed,all that was from when a drunk hit it.The driver seats leather was coming apart and it had 87k on it.

I've noticed in the past 3-4 months that the private seller Machs are selling for a couple thousand cheaper than they usually have sold. I've seen more than afew low mileage Machs being sold for $16-$17K, which I think is a bargain. I think it's just a normal erosion of car value, plus some people are just looking to unload their thirsty V-8. All the better for the true diehards who are looking to buy. My Mach is'nt going anywhere.

supply and demand is all it is. a few years ago when people stopped buying trucks I saw an 04 Z71 chev. quad cab go from 17k to 12k in a week. longer they sit on the lot the more the dealer loses money. If the dealer sees the little 4 bangers are going faster than others then they keep the prices up on them because people want them. Even s197s have dropped in price. I have seen them as low as 17-19for a GT. (05's I think)

I agree its supply and demand along with people trying to unload cars to get out of debt because they're over their heads, in that situation they jump at the closest reasonable offer. I'm still seeing plenty of '04 GT's going for $16 -$17K at dealers though so if anything they look to be holding steady compared to '03's a year ago.

New body style came out and the bottom dropped on these cars. Why buy a GT right now for 15-16 grand when you can get a Mach 1 for $20 odd more a month at 18-20 grand?

Think about it dude. Its supply and demand just like everybody has said. Also have you seen the price of gas lately? Its the same with big SUVs and **** like that. Dealers can't give em away. Plus all those economy analyisists are saying that in the next 2 years gas might be well over 10 dollars a gallon. So most people arnt gonna be wanting that GT that gets 14 miles to the gallon around town. But I dont care because like someone else said Im probably never gonna sell my car. Plus I plan on buying a Cobra or a Mach within the next couple years when I pay off my GT. Hopefully the prices are wayyy down by then hahaha.

Was actually at the dealer today looking to trade my car in. Initial offer was 7500 but i got them to 9500.

Didn't pull the trigger though.

I've had my car advertised for $12K for the last month or so. I'm just thinking of dropping it to $10K firm and see if it sells. I kinda just want it gone now.

I've seen dealers listing some GT's for $14-16K still...but they offer financing. I beleive it's a buyer's market right now for 99=04's.

I'll prob toss my car on criagslist for $10K firm and see who bites

For what its worth I just bought my 03 3 weeks ago and I paid 9000 for it, at a dealer. But most dealers around here want a ton for them. Theres a 04 v6 car that they wanted 14500 for it and I just died because I had my 05 v6 for sale and I was asking 12000, sold it for 11 cash.

rising gas prices. dealers dont wanna buy gas guzzlers, and the average american doesnt want a v8 anymore.

Thats true. Funny thing is that my stang gets 22.5 and my old 99 got 23.5. I have a 2000 S-10 4 cyl that only gets 22 now that they use that dam 10% ethanol fuel. My 05 Impala gets 26 and my 05 V6 Stang only got 24. Thats why I bought the 03 GT because its not a hell of a lot of difference. Oh and I like the GT a lot more.

rising gas prices. dealers dont wanna buy gas guzzlers, and the average american doesnt want a v8 anymore.

I think that's exactly why the selling prices on the 99-04 Mustang GT's are so low right now. Gasoline prices up here for 87 Octane is between $3.60 and $3.70 per gallon. On the average, the 99-04 GT's get around 17mpg - 20mpg. That's not very good gas economy. Especially when it costs over $54 to $55 everytime to fill up the tank on these cars. Gasoline prices have taken a big toll on the value of the Mustang GT's. I think that the value on the GT's will go down even further when gasoline hits $4 and $5 a gallon. I don't plan on selling or in trading in my ultra low mileage gas guzzling 17.5mpg 2001 Mustang GT. I figure that it will not be worth it to buy a more economical car and having new car payments and higher excise tax costs on a brand new car. I currently don't owe anything on my Mustang GT, so it's more economically feasible for me to keep it and to drive it until the end of the fall when I put it into storage again for the winter.
But I do see a lot of people who have huge car payments on the GT and on other gas guzzling cars and SUV's trying to get rid of their vehicles in order to get out of debt and to beat the high cost of gasoline. This is inevitable. Only the people who don't owe anything on their vehicles and who have their cars paid off will be able to afford to keep their GT's and SUV's.

I was on Ebay looking at all of the 99-04 Mustang GT's and I noticed that 99% of them are selling for much less than what sellers are asking for them. I also did a KBB pricing on my Premium fully loaded 5 speed manual 2001 Mustang GT with only 4,500 original miles on it and the trade-in value for it is only $7,400. However, the retail value for this same exact vehicle is currently at $11,500.
It seems that all of the 99-04 Mustang GT's have dropped down bigtime in value.

Just 2 months ago, I was going to trade it in for my brand new 2008 Charger R/T Road & Track Package and the Dodge dealer offered me $11,500 for it. I ended up deciding to keep my GT so I can use it as a 2nd vehicle because my wife's car has a lot of miles on it right now (over 135,000 miles) and she will need a vehicle if anything goes wrong with her car anytime in the near future.

Anyways, I was shocked to find out that the values of our Mustang GT's have dropped so much. WHY have the trade-in values dropped so much on the 99-04 GT's? Also, WHY are the 99-04 GT's that are all selling on Ebay selling for very cheap money. Is it because of the very high gasoline prices? That's the only reason that I can think of as to why the prices of the 99-04 Mustang GT's are selling for really chaep money.

Can anybody else in here tell me why this is happneing? I always thought that the 99-04 Mustang GT was not going to drop bigtime in value like it has. Especially if it is in mint condition and when it has under 5,000 original miles on it.

why does this suprise you? GTs are not in anyway a rare or limited production car. they are bound to decrease in value as time goes by. gas prices may be a small part of it but I would chock it up to age and demand. If anyone bought a GT as a investment they are a damn fool. GTs may increase in value if ford stops putting v8s in mustangs then I could see the value of all v8s stangs go up even npi's.