Driver’s window

Exrace89GT

Mar 29, 2019
Lompoc, CA
So I posted before about my driver’s window not going all the way up. This is a ‘89 GT. So it was suggested that the drive buttons in the motor drive were bad. So I pull the motor and sure enough they were bad. Deformed and coming apart. The person posting an answer said that you could get new ones at NAPA and gave the part number. So I get them and there is no way I can get them to fit. Looks like they are too big in diameter. Does anyone have any other ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Return them after advising NAPA they are the wrong item and purchase one through Amazon if cost is an issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200504-183417_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200504-183417_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 50
I don’t know the part # without looking it up, but I’d recommend using the high torque window motors. Same price. They may even be the only motor still produced, but not sure on that. The ones LMR sells are the high torque ones.
They fixed my problem of the windows not going up with new channel run weatherstripping.

If you're talking about the white round pucks that squeeze between the motor rotor and the gear, yes they are very difficult to install. You gotta pack em full of grease and do all three at the same time, I've done a bunch, hard to explain but you have to start them at an angle, tilt one edge of each one (at the same time) into the motor body and the gear and just push them in all at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
They will fight to go in but will go. I usually buy them from Advance Auto in the help section. Thet usually are hanging right in the aisle.

I grease them up and install them at the same time I work the metal gear down into the assembly. Like Thief said...I start the bottom of the pegs inside first and as I push the metal part down they go in.

Blown88gt posted this in another thread. This is a screen shot of the process

Screenshot_20200505-125701_Chrome.jpg

• Informative
Im going to look into this with the Reman Ford motor I just pulled out of my door. Just to do it. I already installed my new Chinese motor in. Ill do this and see how it works.

Last edited:

• Useful
Well I got the plastic pucks in. Got them started and tried to push it all together by hand. Only got it part way and couldn’t get it the rest of the way. Then used my vice to press it all together. Worked good. Got the motor back in and the damn window still won’t go all the way up. Got some guide bushings I’m going install. If it still won’t go all the way up I’ll try a fully charged battery as I’m not sure on this one as the car doesn’t run, motor is out for a rebuild. Then if it won’t go all the way up I’m at a loss.