driveshaft removal -- blocked by pinion nut?

woob

Mar 23, 2006
Tahlequah, OK
Hey,

I'm in the middle of my t5/ black interior swap -- I have everything done but removing the driveshaft, unbolting the crossmember, and pulling the AOD off the flexplate.

The car is up on jackstands.

I have the driveshaft to yoke bolts removed, but can't get the driveshaft to move forward enough to move over the pinion nut, which seems like it's sticking out about an inch or less :shrug:. Is this normal for a car with 4.30 gears? There's been no whine from the diff, and I can't really be sure if the nut is loose or not right now.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

did u remove the 4 bolts goin to the flange on the rear? if so it should slide right out push it forward into the tranny then pull it out

I removed the 4 bolts.

In my other mustang, and any other mustang I've worked on, it slid right out. In this car, where the driveshaft meets the flange, I can't get the driveshaft to slide out because it is hitting the pinion nut-- that is sticking out about 3/4" -- so I'm unable to remove it, unless I pull the u-bolts or try to see if I can just drop the transmission, and the driveshaft will angle enough to finally get it over that nut.

I can get pictures in about an hour, I'm still at work.

The driveshaft HAD to have been installed AFTER the pinion nut was in place.

Try what Turd Tops suggested. Keeping the rear on jack stands via the rear frame rails, let the axle hang to full droop.

Sometimes the driveshaft will stick on the pinion flange shoulder due to the tight fit. A few slight taps with a hammer may loosen it.

Reactions: 1 user