Rear diff noise, hard to turn axle and driveshaft

DeathProof88

Dec 11, 2015
PA
Looks like I made another goof. I just did the cobra brake swap with new axle bearings and I replaced the pinion seal and trac loc before that. I didn't notice this problem before the brake swap, but maybe I wasn't playing attention? So, if I turn the axles or driveshaft in the forwards direction it is very tough to turn. If a spin the driveshaft in reverse it feels fine, very easy. If I spin an axle in reverse, it's easy but I hear a crunchy noise in the diff. I tried my best to get the pinion nut back on in the same spot (with a little extra oomf). Could I have wrecked the crush washer by accident and it's catastrophic?? I'm asking today because that outside of skill set to replace. But could it be something I can fix? Like I didn't put the trac loc together properly? Or I knocked something loose when I used a slide hammer on the axle bearings? BTW the car is still in the build stages so I'm not driving it, nor can I lol

• Sponsors (?)

This is why I don’t use crush washers. Had a pinion seal leak a little while ago and swapped it out with zero issues. I run Ra-Tech solid spacers with shims.

I understand this is possibly a day late and dollar short in this case but thought I would post it for future use.

Reactions: 1 user
This is why I don’t use crush washers. Had a pinion seal leak a little while ago and swapped it out with zero issues. I run Ra-Tech solid spacers with shims.

I understand this is possibly a day late and dollar short in this case but thought I would post it for future use.
A day late in respect to me not measuring the crush washer to get a shim? I mean, atleast I didn't drive it.. the gears must be fine still. I guess I'm going to have to dump out the new gear oil for the second time and dive in. Just when I get the friction modifier smell out, it drags me back in! 15 bucks? I wish I knew sooner. Would the consensus be that I muffed the backlash? The noise it makes is cringeworthy.

A day late in respect to me not measuring the crush washer to get a shim? I mean, atleast I didn't drive it.. the gears must be fine still. I guess I'm going to have to dump out the new gear oil for the second time and dive in. Just when I get the friction modifier smell out, it drags me back in! 15 bucks? I wish I knew sooner. Would the consensus be that I muffed the backlash? The noise it makes is cringeworthy.
Save the rear end lube and reuse ,I mean you didn't drive it. If you like filter it threw some cheese cloth.

• Ugh
Reactions: 2 users
I’d say you are completely good to go gear wise and it just needs to be set back up.

I know Summit Racing carries the Ra-Tech parts if that’s a possibility.

Reactions: 1 user