Drone reduction ideas please

68conv4sp

Oct 24, 2005
My 96 Cobra vert has twin Flow 40s with an h pipe. It sounds great except for 1900-2000 RPM (severe drone). I have read a few ideas to help:

1. Put Dynamat on the body above the mufflers. I'm not sure how safe this is...
2. Strap something solid and fireproof to the outside of the muffler body to change the resonance frequency.
3. Add short glasspacks before the mufflers.

I want to experiment before spending $ to make major changes, so,thanks for your ideas/experience.

• Sponsors (?)

When I had flowmasters on my 99 I tried an experiment to dampen the
brutal drone. I filled the trunk and floorboards with blankets and pillows...
Didnt make a tiny bit of difference, so I dought even dynamat would help.

Chambered style mufflers are bad about causing resonation. They reflect the sound waves and at certain frequencies, a resonation is caused internal to the exhaust system. If the resonation is bad at 2000 rpm, then I would expect if you hold 4000 rpm, it will resonate badly too. You won't be able to cover up the noise with sound deadner... you can only change the resonance points. For example, add a sound chamber or cat and you will change the harmonics of the system. It will still resonate at some rpm, but hopefully an rpm which you aren't typically at in normal driving.

In fact, other styles of muffler will drone MUCH less noticibly. The dynomax super turbo and other 'turbo' style mufflers should drone very little if at all. The design doesn't reflect sound waves back. Streight through mufflers can be very loud, but don't drone as much as a flowmaster or other chambers style muffler would.

I agree, the best solution is to replace the mufflers.

I don't know how to explain this, but changing to 4.10 gears (from stock 3.27) seemed to reduce the drone for me. It's probably related to:

It will still resonate at some rpm, but hopefully an rpm which you aren't typically at in normal driving.

While the drone is still loud and annoying, to me it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. If I had the bux, I'd change to SLP Loudmouth catback.