Sep 19, 2002
Virginia
I haven't posted in 4.6 Tech in a while so here's the relevant setup info:
2002 GT Convertible
JBA Cat4ward Shorties
MRT Hi-flow Catted Mid-pipe
Magnaflow Catback
The usual intake stuff, CAI, TB, Plenum

For the record I love the sound of this setup when I'm driving aggressively. The car really sounds badass. But the car is my daily driver and it has an aweful drone around 1900-2000 rpms. I had no issues with setup before the Magnaflow catback was installed. I have had the catback on the car for about a year and lived with it, but I mostly was only driving it to work which is a short trip. Recently I have had to take longer trips with it, and its too much for long trips. I even put down Dynamat Xtreme in the trunk and under the rear seat to quiet it down, but it didn't help. The car is much quieter when not in the drone zone though. :)

My question to you guys/gals is what are my options? So far I'm thinking
1) Get the FRPP Catback M-5230-M51. I've got the 5.0 version on my 87 LX 5.0 and its got a nice sound. I might like it a little louder, but this will do. And I could sell the Magnaflow catback for a little coin as it only has about 3K miles on it.
2) Get some quieter mufflers and re-use the rest of the catback. I have no idea which mufflers to get. Options?

Help me out - what do you think is best???

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

I've always like the sound of Magnapacks or Bassani's. Also I love the sound of Borla's as well but all of those brands are very pricey. I like raspy exhaust myself so if I upgrade soon I will be getting Magnaflow. Bassani's are a little deeper to me anyways.

Just youtube some clips and decide for yourself...

:lol: And it's not even paired with an offroad midpipe!!! That can't be real drone.

Ya know....I put the standard Magnaflows on my car too thinking they'd be quiet, but they're not. Sure the exhaust note itself if fairly sedate, but the drone is every bit as bad as it was when I had the Mac chambered mufflers on my old Mustang.

Gonna ditch the rear mufflers all together and just see what it sounds like with just the cats and the center muffler in place.

Ya know....I put the standard Magnaflows on my car too thinking they'd be quiet, but they're not. Sure the exhaust note itself if fairly sedate, but the drone is every bit as bad as it was when I had the Mac chambered mufflers on my old Mustang.

Gonna ditch the rear mufflers all together and just see what it sounds like with just the cats and the center muffler in place.

Sounded like butt to me on my friend's 95. I wasn't a fan. We made an offroad midpipe for it, and it sounds mean with just the rear OE mufflers.

So NasaGT, what did you end up doing and did it work for you. I removed the rear mufflers and tried going it with two high flow cats and my center muffler alone, but it just made it worse. Sounds demented at WOT though, but the cruising drone and general noise is more than I'm able to bare on a daily basis.