DTC P0430

F350-6

Feb 10, 2010
Texas
Had this show up today on the 05 GT. Engine is stock with a cat back exhaust.

I haven't really played around under the hood of a gas motor in years so I could use some pointers. I see reference to possible downstream O2 sensor issues. Where exactly are these sensors and how do you go about testing them? I didn't check to see if my scanner would pick up any data from the 02 sensor. If it will, what values should I be looking for?

Only other issue lately was a dead battery if that is relevant. Any input would be appreciated. Here's what my scanner told me if it helps.

Attachments

• Mustang 4-28.jpg
    Mustang 4-28.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Sponsors (?)

Or the sensor. Try switching the rear O2 sensors left to right and see if the code follows that sensor to the other bank. If it does then replace the sensor. If it doesn't then check the harness and wires connection and see if anything is crimped or pinched etc. Have you dropped the trans recently? Sometimes shops will damage the O2 wires when they do this...

Keep us posted

Possible causes can be:

• Use of leaded fuel
• Damaged heated oxygen sensor
• Out of range engine coolant temperature sensor.
• High fuel pressure
• Damaged exhaust manifold
• Damaged catalytic converter
• Oil contamination
• Cylinder misfiring
• Down stream HO2S wires improperly connected
• Damaged exhaust system pipe
• Damaged muffler/tailpipe assembly
• Retarded spark timing

Or the sensor. Try switching the rear O2 sensors left to right and see if the code follows that sensor to the other bank. If it does then replace the sensor. If it doesn't then check the harness and wires connection and see if anything is crimped or pinched etc. Have you dropped the trans recently? Sometimes shops will damage the O2 wires when they do this...

Keep us posted

This idea seems like the most simple. If the weather is not too bad, I'll do that this weekend. The car doesn't get driven much, but I'll follow up if the code comes back or switches sides.

Possible causes can be:

• Use of leaded fuel
• Damaged heated oxygen sensor
• Out of range engine coolant temperature sensor.
• High fuel pressure
• Damaged exhaust manifold
• Damaged catalytic converter
• Oil contamination
• Cylinder misfiring
• Down stream HO2S wires improperly connected
• Damaged exhaust system pipe
• Damaged muffler/tailpipe assembly
• Retarded spark timing

I haven't seen leaded fuel in a while now, so I'm guessing that's not it. Oil has less than 200 miles on it and passes the sniff test on the dipstick. Muffler/tailpipe appear ok without jacking up the car. I don't know enough about these, but the freeze frame data shows ECT and timing advance. Do those look OK?

No comments on the data from the bank 2 fuel system? I don't know what values I should be looking for (need to get a ford service dvd), but the short term fuel trim looks like it may be high and the status report seems to be at fault :shrug:

And surely this has to be some sort of fluke, but B2103 Antenna not connected? The stupid computer can't really tell that can it? It was disconnected by the way to get the cover on, but I'm having a hard time believing the computer knew that.

Follow up

Not really an update, but I hate to see a thread end with no answers. I decided to clear the codes and see how many miles until it came back.

Still waiting. No more codes, CEL, or issues to report.