• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

dumps

  • Thread starter Thread starter 00GTpony
  • Start date Start date May 18, 2008

00GTpony

Member
Mar 10, 2007
162
0
16
May 18, 2008
#1
  • May 18, 2008
  • #1
If i put dumps directly after the mufflers ( no tailpipes ) does it make the car louder?.....any performance out of it?
 

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
1,783
282
124
May 18, 2008
#2
  • May 18, 2008
  • #2
yes (louder) and you might lose a little low end torque. I noticed I did when I did it to my fox. possibly a few hp gains as you are cutting the restriction down but not anything noticable or SOTP
 

00GTpony

Member
Mar 10, 2007
162
0
16
May 18, 2008
#3
  • May 18, 2008
  • #3
i want to put race bullets then dump em right after midpipe
 

mustang50v8

Member
Feb 4, 2003
548
3
18
847 Chicago Burbs
May 18, 2008
#4
  • May 18, 2008
  • #4
dumps like a truck truck truck
guys like what what what



let me see that thong, baby that thong thong thong thong thong



i dont know why....i just couldn't help myself this time. lol.
 

Winters98GT

Whoop...whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop...GANGNAM STYLE!!!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
5,520
1,291
224
H Town
May 18, 2008
#5
  • May 18, 2008
  • #5
I always run dumps on my cars, love the sound. I run stock mufflers dumped with an h pipe, not too deep like a truck, and sounds a bit different than most mustangs. Not any real power gain or loss on an NA car.
 

EPIK

Member
Jul 3, 2004
796
1
16
LEFT COAST
May 18, 2008
#6
  • May 18, 2008
  • #6
Dumps make the exhaust sound louder on the inside of the car & give it a much deeper tone. That said, I ran dumps for 3 days & my 95 & couldn't stand it so i had tailpipes reinstalled...
 

02LaserRed2V

New Member
Jul 30, 2004
379
1
0
Augusta, GA
May 18, 2008
#7
  • May 18, 2008
  • #7
Yes, it's louder, especially if the car is cammed.

I personally don't think modular motors sound good with dumps. I'll leave that for the pushrods.
 

Twista

Active Member
May 7, 2004
510
2
29
@ the z00 in chicago
May 18, 2008
#8
  • May 18, 2008
  • #8
dunno about louder, but it changes the tone big time. v8 mustangs belong with 2 tailpipes on the end in my book. And dumps kills the ass end of a mustang i think. I run dumps myself and its been over 12+ months.
 

1992 2.3LX

New Member
Dec 5, 2002
885
0
0
Ky
May 19, 2008
#9
  • May 19, 2008
  • #9
louder but changes the tone as well.
You can here every cylinder fire with dumps.
Good sound but I miss my tailpipes terribly. I have a vert and the exhaust gets a little much sometimes pluss I just like the look of the stainles pipes out back.
 

EPIK

Member
Jul 3, 2004
796
1
16
LEFT COAST
May 19, 2008
#10
  • May 19, 2008
  • #10
Nothing better than a nice set of Flowmaster polished tailpipes coming out the back, especially on a Fox LX, or a 94-98, but dumps can be pulled off on those bodystyles since there are no cutouts for tailpipes on the bumper. On a 99-04, dumps just look stupid since the bumpers have exhaust cutouts.
 

jivepepper

Founding Member
Jun 19, 2002
776
5
18
Under a Sombrero. in WV.
May 19, 2008
#11
  • May 19, 2008
  • #11
00GTpony said:
i want to put race bullets then dump em right after midpipe
Click to expand...

That's my plan, LT's 3" exhaust to 3.5" dynamax bullets dumped.

Right now I have mac lt's, h pipe and cat back with the tails pipes cut off and dumped. But it's old and starting to sound crappy.

I have already bought a v6 bumper and had it painted, so no empty cutouts.
 

02nightmaregt

To hell with your Mustang, I want to see your HOG!
Jul 1, 2007
513
4
19
Southern Indiana
May 19, 2008
#12
  • May 19, 2008
  • #12
I have dumps and i think im gonna get a full catback. I love the dumps but i've had them for a few years now and i'm ready for a change. It'll look very clean with the v6 bumper though.
 

Shiroelex

There's nothing worse than aut
Founding Member
Aug 23, 2001
728
1
27
Westland, MI
May 19, 2008
#13
  • May 19, 2008
  • #13
I've been running 3" dumps off of the Flowmasters that were on the car when I bought it, ever since I threw on my prochamber. Personally, I'm tired of the way Flows sound on Mustangs because everyone has it, so I dumped them, and they sound sexy.

Run 1

This video features my car kicking me out of first gear as I started the burnout, and my friend that just wouldn't shut up.
Run 2

I was doing tiny little burnouts in 1st gear, because my clutch was pissing me off.
 

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
1,865
24
58
May 19, 2008
#14
  • May 19, 2008
  • #14
My Mac's are dumped and its an incredibly distinct noise. Doesnt sound like anything else and I like that.

The pipes come directly over the rear axle and dump, plus if I want I can hook the tails back up. It still sounds good, but its not loud enough for me.

Inside:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0tSnKl4Ccs8
 

jivepepper

Founding Member
Jun 19, 2002
776
5
18
Under a Sombrero. in WV.
May 19, 2008
#15
  • May 19, 2008
  • #15
BurningRubber said:
My Mac's are dumped and its an incredibly distinct noise. Doesnt sound like anything else and I like that.

The pipes come directly over the rear axle and dump, plus if I want I can hook the tails back up. It still sounds good, but its not loud enough for me.

Inside:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0tSnKl4Ccs8
Click to expand...

Your just missing your tailpipes. Real dumps are dumped before the rear axle.



 
C

chefalan23

Banned
Jul 29, 2007
18
0
0
May 19, 2008
#16
  • May 19, 2008
  • #16
i had dumps for 2 days. it was a 120 dollar lesson i learned that mustangs sound like **** with dumps unless you have cams. when i did the dumps i had flowmaster 40 deltas and o/r x and it was significantly quieter, and sounded like a buick with an exhaust leak. when my dad heard it he said "what the hell did you do to your car? it sounds like ****" the only car ive ever heard that sounded good with dumps was my buddies gt with heads/cams, pypes long tubes, pypes o/r x with violator catback dumped. other than that every other car with dumps sounds like ass.
 

race-stang

Member
Jan 28, 2007
47
3
8
Hartford, CT
May 19, 2008
#17
  • May 19, 2008
  • #17
i had the 2-1/2" mac prochamber dumps, and loved them. Then I got a 3" mac catback for a wicked goos deal that I couldnt pass up, so I put that on my car. since then, I have gotten rid of the 2-1/2" dumps.

I MISS THEM SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH

they sounded so much sicker, but not as loud as the 3" catback. Now Im gonna get rid of this catback, and buy the mac 3" dumps. hopefully they will sound sicker than the 2-1/2" dumps.

and plus, dont deny it, my car's @$$ looks way sexier with no tailpipes.

also, i love the people who thought it was a v6 cuz it had no wing or dual exhaust.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

R
Microsquirt tune for stroked 351W in a foxbody
  • roldy
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
6
Views
238
Digital Self-tuning Forum Aug 11, 2026
roldy
R
1
Crank no start on a turbo and cammed pushrod 5.0
  • 1630stri
  • Sep 2, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
2
Views
136
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 16, 2026
Qtrhrse23
P
Tailpipes for '88 GT
  • pindude80
  • Apr 30, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
31
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 13, 2025
pindude80
P
J
High idle 2003 Mach 1
  • JohnnyUtah
  • Mar 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
232
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 31, 2026
JohnnyUtah
J
R
Unidentified Ticking Noise
  • revised
  • Jul 5, 2026
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
146
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 11, 2026
MT94GT
M
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?