Duraspark Distributor to Summit Ignition Box

I have a 66 Mustang with a 302 crate motor from Ford Motor Sports that I am trying to put a new ignition system in. I have a new Duraspark distributor from Performance Distributors, a Summit multiple spark ignition box, and a Summit coil. My question is which two wires do I use from the distributor to the ignition box? There are three from the distributor, an all black, black with red stripe and a black with violet stripe; but there are only two from the ignition box, one green and one violet. The Summit box is very similar to an MSD set up and i'm pretty sure the distributors wires are stock colors.

I'm assuming the distributor's black wire is just a ground and can be left out, but it would make a difference which way the two wires are connected right?

• Sponsors (?)

You can buy a harness to go from an MSD to a duraspark or hook them up yourself. I used a generic water tight connector. I have the same set up. Although I switched to an MSD box after I smoked the mallory (same box summit uses). The solid black is a ground. I'm 99% sure black/violet goes to the green wire. Violet goes to the black/red wire. I can look tonight.

Yes, it matters which way it is hooked up. Timing will be irratic if wrong.

Turns out Summit gave me instructions but I managed to misplace them after I opened the box. The only thing is that my distributor has a black with red stripe wire and Summit describes a black with orange stripe, now i'm sure that I am just splitting hairs but, S Car Go if you could look or take a picture for me i'd really appreciate it. Also if you might know which of the distributor wires is posative and which is negative.

Not much to see.. I don't remember which is positive or negitive. I hooked this up years ago. Just DON'T hook the 2 violet wires together and you will be okay. Even if you did, you can reverse them without cooking anything. I did. The +/- wires just sense entering/leaving the magnetic field in the distributor. If you reverse them, the box thinks the distributor is spinning backwards and your timing goes to hell. You'll know it quick if you reverse them.

Word of warning. Don't get that box wet or you will cook it. I had my Mallory/Summit box facing up where I could see the LED. When I was washing my car (the hood was closed), some water ran down inside and that was the end of that box.