duraspark II and 14" edelbrock filter

67rcks

Feb 20, 2008
I am trying to use this combination on 67 with 302 with stock engine mounts. Yet when looking at it there is very tight fit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-4207/

The only way IMO is to lift the air cleaner.

Have you been able to fit this cleaner so that its bottom is right above the distributor? What minimum space must be kept between top of air cleaner and hood to accomodate engine vibrations?

• Sponsors (?)

I have the large diameter cap like yours and I installed a 1-inch phenolic spacer under my carb recently (no more clearance issue for the dizzy). if you go to your local auto shop most will let you test fit filter lids & bases until you have one that clears. My biggest problem was the electric choke on my Edelbrock carb. Took almost an hour but I found a happy medium.

Alternatively you could always install one of those plastic carb hats, gave me just enough clearance to get by, but it got on my nerves as it didn't allow proper tightening on the wing nut causing the filter lid to move all around.

So this does not work - there is not enough space under the hood if this cleaner is above the distributor. The cleaner is just 3/16" too big in diameter to clear the distributer.

Your setup sounds pretty similar to mine, here's how my engine sits in my 68. I'm using a Performer RPM intake if that makes any difference to you
engineh.jpg

a narrower cap (e.g. duraspark I) would be OK. early duraspark I cap (w/points) does not fit duraspark II two-piece cap. I would have to replace the whole distributor.
EP I can place my air cleaner like yours (although I have weiand 2-plane intake).
Yet the cleaner does not clear the hood - your cleaner may be a bit smaller (in heigth) all I need is 1/8"+ of additional space.