Ebay Disc Brake Components

I am considering purchasing a disc brake set for my rear brakes. I am getting ready to re-install my drum brakes stuff. Is this a better route? What else will I need with this Ebay item? Here is the link. Let me know, because I am really contemplating this purchase. I am not going to be racing in my vehicle, so it doesn't have to be top of the line brakes. Thanks guys!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-6...ewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQitemZ8040731984QQrdZ1

• Sponsors (?)

Those are the brakes I'm going to be doing a write up on. I'm waiting for my steal braided lines to be finished. They should have been done by now. You need to install spacers for them to work properly. You can get those brakes from the junkyard fairly easily. They come off of crown vic's. I pulled a set off of a taxi. Police/Taxi's have the same calipers. They are better then the regular ones. They use a stainless steal piston instead of a phenolic piston and they use a (I think) ceramic pad instead of an organic or semi-metalic. If you decide to go this route let me know and I'll get you the guys info I bought the spacers from. The spacers were 50 bux, a little over prices. The calipers/backingplates cost me 33 bux and change at the local pick a part.

Looks like we will be bidding against each other...I am watching that same auction. I was going to go with Bear rears but cant see the additional money. My only question is can I get crossdrilled rotors for this kit? I also dont know if they are going to fit on my Lincoln 9" so I guess I am going to have to go home and do some measuring.

Hawk racing makes a sloted rotor for the crown vic rears. Why the hell would you pay all that money when you can get them so cheap from a junkyard. Those are nothing but junkyard pulls anyways and you are going to have to pay shipping and then rebuilt the calipers or turn them in as cores. Plus you might as well toss the rotors and get fresh ones and well as the parking brake pads needing to be replaced. If you ask me, buying this kit off of ebay is a FAT rip off when there are so many police/taxi crown vics with the upgraded pistons siting in the junkyard. In fact, for 75 bux plus shipping I'll go pull you a set this saturday.

Well I saw the price go over $200.00 and by the time I also get my drilled rotors I would have way too much money in them so I called Baer :30 and ordered my 12" rears. I was also uncertain if they would even fit my car and couldnt get away to measure the Lincoln Vert. 9" I have....If something goes wrong with the Baer order (I am getting Jobber Pricing through my business:nice: ) I will take you up on the offer though.

Rusty67 said:
Hawk racing makes a sloted rotor for the crown vic rears. Why the hell would you pay all that money when you can get them so cheap from a junkyard. Those are nothing but junkyard pulls anyways and you are going to have to pay shipping and then rebuilt the calipers or turn them in as cores. Plus you might as well toss the rotors and get fresh ones and well as the parking brake pads needing to be replaced. If you ask me, buying this kit off of ebay is a FAT rip off when there are so many police/taxi crown vics with the upgraded pistons siting in the junkyard. In fact, for 75 bux plus shipping I'll go pull you a set this saturday.

I might take you up on that offer too. When are you going to do the write up on what is needed for this setup???

Shakin66 said:
Well I saw the price go over $200.00 and by the time I also get my drilled rotors I would have way too much money in them so I called Baer :30 and ordered my 12" rears. I was also uncertain if they would even fit my car and couldnt get away to measure the Lincoln Vert. 9" I have....If something goes wrong with the Baer order (I am getting Jobber Pricing through my business:nice: ) I will take you up on the offer though.

a little late but the crown vic brakes won't work on the versailles rear but the explorer brakes will, they are the exact same design as the crown vics but are for the larger bearing rears like explorer 8.88 and the versailles

I'm so busy with school and other things that it will provably be about 2 or 3 weeks before I have time to do the rear disc conversion... that and I'm still waiting for my shop to call me with the brake lines I had made. I think they just fogot to call, I'm gonna call them up tomorrow.

OMG, its been so long since I posted....

You can do the math. Here is my price brake down on junkyarding/buying new parts:
Calipers/backing plate from junkyard: 33
New parking brake shoes: 22.67
New brake pads: 26.31
New rotors: 35.28 x2
Caliper seal kits: $8 x2
Steel braided brake lines/brackets: 100
Spacer kit: 50
Custom parking brake cable: 35 x2
Caliper paint: 8.95

My offer still stands that for 75 bux plus shipping I'll pull the stuff and ship it to anyone.

I havn't had a chance to touch my car in months. We moved to a new house and I've been busy. We are building an irrigation system and they are going to pour the cement for the backyard and side of the house... including the RV access which is where I'll be doing my mechanical work from now on. When I install that setup on my car I'll be sure to post.

As for where I got the stuff, I got it from ebay. I can't give you the info now but I can give it to you later.

EDIT:
By "stuff" I mean the spacer kit. Without this spacer kit, these brakes will most likely not function properly.