Ecoboost/gt Performance Package And Summer Tires

tamadrummer88

Aug 19, 2005
Aloha State
So my mind is pretty much made up. Ordering a 2015 Ecoboost in January for delivery hopefully by February. Just one slight issue:

Performance Package.

I want to order a base Ecoboost with the Performance Package. Upon reading the description, I notice it comes with summer tires. IIRC, the previous GT Performance Package came with summer tires, which, IIRC, only lasts for about 15,000-20,000 miles. That for me is a deal breaker, as i drive close to 15,000 miles a year, and, with Hawaii's utterly horrible roads, it'll probably be eaten up way before that. I can't be changing out tires every year. One idea i had was asking the dealer if the factory could substitute the summer tires for high performance all seasons (if thats possible) or, taking that extra 2k and getting the premium with all the bells and whistles and the really nice optional 20's.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is the Performance Package worth it? Can the factory substitute the tires? Or should i just take that extra 2k and get a Premium?

Thanks?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure that I would care one way or the other about what tires came on the thing. Order yourself up a set of wheels and tires before hand.

Store the OEM pieces in the garage.

I wanna know before hand so i know maintenance-wise what I'm getting. Id be pretty pissed if the tires were worn down after 15k miles and the salesperson didn't tell me that the tires were only rated to that many miles. And especially knowing how much tires cost nowadays (shelled out 195 a tire on my Taurus recently) I don't want a thousand dollar surprise that i wasn't prepared for.

Yeah... I get what you're saying. I've seen more than a couple of folks, just take and store the stock ones.

They saw duty from the lot to the house before being put on jacks.

What you might be able to do is to check with the dealership. Perhaps they will buy your tires and put others on. It will cost the difference of course.

I've not driven on the tires that Ford puts on their cars since the 90's. I couldn't really tell you what kind of mileage you're going to get out of new ones. Maybe an answer to that specific question will come along soon.

Summer tire typically last between 12-17k miles. Of course it depends on how you drive but I assume you plan on driving it hard or else why get the performance package. In my opinion the Performance package is absolutely worth it. Parts and labor it would probably cost you twice as much to do all those mods to your car after you buy it. No way will they change the tires at the factory but like Noob said I'm sure the dealership will be more then happy to take more of your money and replace them. Personally I would just drive your car with the summers and then just put on what you want when they need to be replaced.

Summer tire typically last between 12-17k miles. Of course it depends on how you drive but I assume you plan on driving it hard or else why get the performance package. In my opinion the Performance package is absolutely worth it. Parts and labor it would probably cost you twice as much to do all those mods to your car after you buy it. No way will they change the tires at the factory but like Noob said I'm sure the dealership will be more then happy to take more of your money and replace them. Personally I would just drive your car with the summers and then just put on what you want when they need to be replaced.

The thing is that I'm used to changing tires on a car after like 30-40k miles (had a couple mustangs before but never held them long enough to change tires.) recently i just changed the tires on my taurus after 3 years of ownership and 55k miles and shelled out 1200 bucks. I highly doubt my car would see any strip time, but mostly it would be for spirited driving every once in awhile. Thing is, I'm so used to changing tires at a later interval that i don't think i could be prepared to change an entire set after a year (I live on a super strict budget. I had a 2011 V6 before that was, in theory, similar to ordinary car maintenance) nor have another replacement set ready when the car comes. I just don't have that sort of disposable cash laying around to do that. Ill probably just go with a Premium and a little more luxury and worry about building a nice suspension setup later.

Oh, and inb4 "you gotta pay to play", and "well, if you cant afford tires maybe you should rethink what you're buying"

Not sure about your situation in Hawaii , but tirerack is your friend .

I doubt they will swap one for one , so it will still cost you some . Your best bet is to budget for the all seasons now and know you are going to put them on in 12 months. This is what I did with my Mazdaspeed , the OEM Dunlop summer tires lasted me about 22K , and I replaced them with Michelin all seasons with a much higher UTQG

Last edited: