Electrical Ecu 5 speed maf from 92 wont work on 89 maf 5 speed why?

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
San Antonio,Texas
Ok Im posting all these questions that I have,WILL help me bigtime here.I have a 89 5 speed maf that has a lean condition.I want to make sure that the fuel tables/stratgey on my a9l isnt the problem.I want to rule that out so I bought a 92 5 speed maf car to drive .Im not sure what the ecu number is becuse it was rebuit and they changed the ford sticker with the barcode.When I installed it in my 89 the car just turns on and shuts right off.Im assumming it should work beacuse its equvilant I belive Thats just my opinion seeing they are both from maf 5 speed cars.Way differnet years thou.Might anyone have an answer to this one?Any imput would be apprecited

• Sponsors (?)

I hate when people destroy original documentation. I used a 92 5sp computer in my 88gt that I converted to mass air. Still in there to this day with no problems. I'm curious to know the answer. There's a couple guys that know this stuff thoroughly so I'll let them get in here and help.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate when people destroy original documentation. I used a 92 5sp computer in my 88gt that I converted to mass air. Still in there to this day with no problems. I'm curious to know the answer. There's a couple guys that know this stuff thoroughly so I'll let them get in here and help.
Thank you it’s soo overwhelming when you have 2 cars that have issues.

• Agree
Just for the record, the 92 computer was in a running car that you own? And.... Have you put it back in the 92 and made sure it will still start after not starting the 89? Just building some info for the thread.

Have you dumped the codes on the replacement computer?
Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

Computer & interchange information for 5.0 Mustang
Revised 16-Oct-2011 to add O2 sensor harness warnings

The Mass Air computers from 89-93 Mustangs are interchangeable with a few exceptions. Just be sure you use the MAF & MAF sensor from the same series computer. The auto transmission computers use a different start circuit than the manual computers. You can use an auto trans computer in a 5 speed car with no problems or changes. I have done it in my original 89 Mustang GT, and I know it works OK. I would recommend avoiding using a 5 speed computer in an auto trans car due to the possibility of damaging the computer’ internal signal ground circuitry.
The odd duck is the 93 Cobra computer, labeled X3Z which is internally calibrated for 24 lb injectors. Use the MAF & MAF sensor from the X3Z computer to avoid problems with the computer's internal calibration. Try and avoid the 93 Cobra computer if you can.

Some cautions about O2 Sensor harnesses need to be observed to avoid damage to the computer.
Only run a 5 speed trans O2 harness with an A9L. Do not run an Auto O2 sensor harness with an A9L. Doing so will damage the computer’s internal signal ground.
Only run an Auto trans O2 sensor harness with an A9P in a car that has an Auto trans. Using a 5 speed trans O2 sensor harness with an Auto trans will cause no crank problems.

See http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/1094179-oxygen-sensor- harnesses-manual-auto-differences-year-differences.html for more O2 sensor wiring harness info
If you have a damaged computer with signal ground problems, see the pictures below for help finding and fixing the burnt computer trace.
hash-146a243133771eeba54f17b17d721b1f-jpg.jpg

The fix is some careful soldering of a small jumper wire across the burnt section of copper trace.
20160325_234845-jpg.553347

All the following are mass air unless they say Speed Density
8LD - MANUAL 88 5.0L Mustang Mass Air - California
8LF - Auto 88 5.0L Mustang Mass Air- California
8LG - Auto 88 5.0L Mustang Mass Air- California
A9L - 89-93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
A3M - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
A3M1 - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
X3Z - 93 5.0L Cobra 5-spd Mass Air internally calibrated for 24 lb injector
A9P - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto Mass Air
A9S - 88 5.0L Mustang California Mass Air
C3W - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto
DA1 - 87 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Speed Density
J4J1 - 94-95 5.0L SVT Cobra 5-spd
T4M0 - 94-95 5.0L GT Vert 5-spd
U4P0 - 94-95 5.0L GT Auto
W4H0 - 94-95 5.0L GT
ZA0 - 95 Cobra R
D9S - 88 Lincoln LSC Speed Density

Email me a picture of the barcode label and I'll see if I can read it. If you have a smartphone, there may be a app you can download from the Google App Store to read it. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamma.scan&hl=en_US&gl=US

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Have you dumped the codes on the replacement computer?
Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

Computer & interchange information for 5.0 Mustang
Revised 16-Oct-2011 to add O2 sensor harness warnings

The Mass Air computers from 89-93 Mustangs are interchangeable with a few exceptions. Just be sure you use the MAF & MAF sensor from the same series computer. The auto transmission computers use a different start circuit than the manual computers. You can use an auto trans computer in a 5 speed car with no problems or changes. I have done it in my original 89 Mustang GT, and I know it works OK. I would recommend avoiding using a 5 speed computer in an auto trans car due to the possibility of damaging the computer’ internal signal ground circuitry.
The odd duck is the 93 Cobra computer, labeled X3Z which is internally calibrated for 24 lb injectors. Use the MAF & MAF sensor from the X3Z computer to avoid problems with the computer's internal calibration. Try and avoid the 93 Cobra computer if you can.

Some cautions about O2 Sensor harnesses need to be observed to avoid damage to the computer.
Only run a 5 speed trans O2 harness with an A9L. Do not run an Auto O2 sensor harness with an A9L. Doing so will damage the computer’s internal signal ground.
Only run an Auto trans O2 sensor harness with an A9P in a car that has an Auto trans. Using a 5 speed trans O2 sensor harness with an Auto trans will cause no crank problems.

See http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/1094179-oxygen-sensor- harnesses-manual-auto-differences-year-differences.html for more O2 sensor wiring harness info
If you have a damaged computer with signal ground problems, see the pictures below for help finding and fixing the burnt computer trace.
hash-146a243133771eeba54f17b17d721b1f-jpg.jpg

The fix is some careful soldering of a small jumper wire across the burnt section of copper trace.
20160325_234845-jpg.jpg

All the following are mass air unless they say Speed Density
8LD - MANUAL 88 5.0L Mustang Mass Air - California
8LF - Auto 88 5.0L Mustang Mass Air- California
8LG - Auto 88 5.0L Mustang Mass Air- California
A9L - 89-93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
A3M - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
A3M1 - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
X3Z - 93 5.0L Cobra 5-spd Mass Air internally calibrated for 24 lb injector
A9P - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto Mass Air
A9S - 88 5.0L Mustang California Mass Air
C3W - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto
DA1 - 87 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Speed Density
J4J1 - 94-95 5.0L SVT Cobra 5-spd
T4M0 - 94-95 5.0L GT Vert 5-spd
U4P0 - 94-95 5.0L GT Auto
W4H0 - 94-95 5.0L GT
ZA0 - 95 Cobra R
D9S - 88 Lincoln LSC Speed Density

Email me a picture of the barcode label and I'll see if I can read it. If you have a smartphone, there may be a app you can download from the Google App Store to read it. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamma.scan&hl=en_US&gl=US
Thanks for the reply soo much!I didnt see it with my other post.As for codes when you asked about dumping codes with the replacemnt do you mean I shouldve scaned for codes even though the car kept turning off with it?Should i install it try again and then run codes while its in the car thats not starting to see what its saying?Its from my 92 but it starts 89 car but shuts right off as if i didnt have the maf sensor connected.So your also suggesting that maybe i should try the maf from the 92 along with the ecu?So try turning it on with its maf becuse i just tryed swapping the ecu nothing else.Question i dont see the answer to it,can i ditch the a9l and run a microsquirt but run it as speed density?Would that ruin my o2sensor harness?Reason I ask is running microsquirt runs car rich and a9l running lean.And in any other car if im running rich whats considered too rich to where it could cause a backfire?If im running 12s 13 on my afr (im assuming not too rich)is that dangerous running it in that area?Im really trying to get it at 14 15 at least but with speed density it runs rich.Id tryied severl times running maf on the micro but same thing turns on shuts right off weird to me.I have a few ecus i also have a da1 i bought for no appernt reason o yes i just read about taking pic im not at home but i will shoot you one tomorrow id really apprectie that

Last edited:
The .msq is purposefully enrichened... its not meant to be a plug in and drive, thats way to difficult to get right on a SD setup where most are using non stock parts.. its meant to be a starting point for you to begin tuning.
The micro can be used with MAF btw you just have to do some wiring

The .msq is purposefully enrichened... its not meant to be a plug in and drive, thats way to difficult to get right on a SD setup where most are using non stock parts.. its meant to be a starting point for you to begin tuning.
The micro can be used with MAF btw you just have to do some wiring
The car is a maf already whats other wiring would i have to do?