Edelbrock's latest rich-man offering

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Chengdu Province
Have you guys seen this? As if the black powdercoat version wasn't priced ridiculously enough, this bad boy retails for $980.

Are the fellas over at Edelbrock on crack? Do they realize we're in a recession, and 5.0 guys are cheap-asses to begin with?

Edelbrock 71231 - Edelbrock Performer 5.0 RPM II Intake Manifolds - Overview - SummitRacing.com

edl-71231_w.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

that is how he can make it, polish it, and make a profit with covering his overhead.

this is the reason jobs leave america and companies like UPR take over

100% agreed, people wanna say buy american but then bitch about what quality products cost, most compaines out there cant compete with cheap chinese labor. As far as the UPR reference, im not trying to start a war here, but thier stuff is made in the US and they support the drag racing community, which is alot more than most aftermarket companies can say.

100% agreed, people wanna say buy american but then bitch about what quality products cost, most compaines out there cant compete with cheap chinese labor. As far as the UPR reference, im not trying to start a war here, but thier stuff is made in the US and they support the drag racing community, which is alot more than most aftermarket companies can say.

you'll never hear me bitch about the quality of american made products, but i dont consider this particular intake to be the cost of "a quality product" as much as a ridiculous price for the same intake thats $400 less...

I'm all for buying American, but there is no way in hell that price is justified by their expenses in making it. I don't know for sure, but I would be willing to say these manifolds are not hand polished, and if they are, its just touch up work after they are robotically or chemically polished. It just doesn't make sense, you could buy THREE polished Edelbrock carb intakes for the cost of this one.

I mean, look at how they raised the price of the same manifold $250 just in changing the color that they powdercoated it with. Its not like they went from bare aluminum to powdercoat, they went from a titanium color to black. It's ludicrous, and yes, it's stuff like this that makes Chinese made parts sell so well. You can't hardly afford to buy American, unless you want to build an under-performing car with stuff like Edelbrock's E-Street heads... Because Lord knows that if you want one of Edelbrock's serious cylinder heads, you're going to be shelling out better than 2 grand.

/rant

they are relying on the underinformed uneducated hobbyists that get all their info from Powerblock to make their sales. From the looks of things it seems to be working out well for them.

I'd buy it. I'm by no means rich or anything but occationally, a no muss, no fuss solution is where it's at. Granted it's not for everyone and I'd expect a group of hard core enthusiasts to say, "Do dat chit urself and take pride" but I can definitely see where there would be a market for something like this.

I dunno where you are seeing these 2000+ dollar heads from edelbrock, the only ones that are that much are the CNC ported ones, you can score a set of victor JR's for under 1500 bucks and out of the box they are a better head than AFR's.

FWIW i had my trick flow intake at the machine shop i used to work at, my boss was really impressed with the quality of everything and asked me how much i paid for it. Now keep in mind that this is a guy that knows what things cost to make in a realistic time frame and still make money at the end of the day, i told him $700 for it and he was in shock that a piece with that much work into it could be sold so cheap.

I mean really when it comes down to it, as mustang guys we have it made, we have a million parts to choose from, most everything is a direct bolt on and parts are cheap.

If you dont like the price of the intake dont buy it, or buy one and polish it yourself and stop crying about it, if you bought that RPM II intake and polished it id say you would have a really good ammount of hours into it, and i really dont think that thing is machine polished, i dont see how it could be done.