Insane 66 'vert project...a LONG history and current info

mtbdoc

Nov 2, 2003
Alright...I've mentioned this car in enough other threads, and information has been asked. Well, today I talked more with my engine builder, and I am excited. We are still many weeks from completion, and the Power Tour is coming. Oh, I'm also going to be moving my GTO over to a new Aussie Twin Turbo setup [http://ls1turbo.com.au/ttspecs.htm and that will take priority as well.

But that's okay...there is time.

History: In the fall of 1965 [actually, it was my birthday!] my dad took delivery on a new 1966 Mustang. Springtime yellow. The car was so cool...and that was the car I later learned to drive in. Three days after my 16th birthday, I managed to roll it over on a dirt road while cutting school with my girlfriend. Oops.

1979: I was working as an engineer prior to starting medical school, and I wanted a car. A rational man would have bought an inexpensive, reliable car. I wanted a Mustang. 1966. A convertible. I found one.

Even getting the car home was an adventure, as I rode a bus 3.5 hrs to Atlanta where I was picking it up...ended up partying with friends...picked up the car...and drove home in the middle of the night.

IT WAS MINE!!!

I wanted a performance car, so I bought a cam, and an Edelbrock manifold, and a four barrel, and headers. I bought a book, and learned how to install all of that. Drove it. Put in new springs, shocks, and sway bars. The front springs were too tall, the leafs too low. Car had a funny, backwards tilt. Made handling scary...especially with the engine mods. Just the thing for a first year med student.

Found rust in the floor. Put fiberglass ON TOP of the rust [smart young guy, I was!]. Drove the car.

I was getting married, and what better to go on a honeymoon in, than a Mustang convertible??? So, my bride-to-be and I loaded the 'vert up, headed to Atlanta for the wedding...

...and made it 45 miles down the road when it overheated! Seems that I didn't know enough to have fixed-up the cooling system! So, I got my Dad to tow us back home, and we took her '74 Camaro to the wedding, and on the honeymoon. God smiled on us. I managed to T-bone some old clunker on the honeymoon, doing major damage to the Camaro. It deserved it...that was the slowest 350 cu in car on the planet! It was traded for a Honda Civic. And yes, I was truly grateful that God had seen fit to have the 'vert overheat and NOT be the wrecked car.

Time passed, the car got towed from home-to-home. My wife tried to sell it more than once [just an "innocent" mention to someone, and offers came out of nowhere!] Sat in a mini-warehouse.

May 3, 2003: I manage to go over a guard rail off of a mountain in a bicycle race at about 45 mph. Break C1, C5, C6, & C7[vertebrae in the neck, for the medically uninformed!]. Spend time in a halo, then surgery/fusion, rehab. WIFE suggests it's time to rehab the 'vert...and we have a very talented friend and mechanic. And so it begins.

In 1979 it was not of interest [to anyone besides me, it seemed] to build a performance classic. The term "restomod" hadn't been coined. But it is different these days. So, in 2003, we begin work.

First order of business: donor car. We figure a Fox body car w/ a good engine and tranny will work. So I buy one with a fully rebuilt and hopped-up engine. But I want boost. Look at everything on the market, and buy a Kenne Bell 2.2.

Then I hear about blowing apart 5.0 blocks...can you imagine, splitting them down the middle! That won't do. So I find a Sportsman block 331 stroker w/ really nice parts, blower cam...in a wrecked car. Order AFR heads. Now we're cooking.

Then you tell me that the Sportsman block really is just about like the old Mexican block. Good for ~500 hp or so. In the meantime I've built up a turbocharged LS2 GTO and drive 500 rwhp on a daily basis. Nah...the 'vert needs to be faster!

So it's time to look at SERIOUS engines and engine builders. Enter Tracy McAllister[ http://www.mcallisterbrothersracing.com ] Really sharp guy...who has been quietly building some of the fastest Ford engines on the East Coast. We discuss maximal power in a classic car. No computer, minimal wiring. Maximal thrust. Turns out he's building some 950-1000 hp blown 408 strokers THAT USE A BLOW THROUGH CARB! Hmmm...

Briefly: Tracy is building me a 408W stroker; usually he uses a Dart or Ford Racing block, but because this is not a dedicated race car, he is doing this on a '69 Windsor block, converted to 4 bolt caps. Forged stroker, H beams, etc. CNC'd heads [Chinese castings based on a Victor Jr head; but CNC'd so they actually work]. MSD ignition & distributor...ready to bolt in. I will work out the plumbing to and from the intercooler, and use the ridiculously oversized intercooler I bought.

Today he told me that we may need to pulley down...seems that we may be over 800 hp, and that might actually be too much!

800 hp + convertible = pretzel car, right?

This leads us into the pics I've already posted around here:

In order to hook this to the ground [and actually, this construction started when we were looking at ~400 hp!], my fabricator [and best friend!] has done this rear subframe out of rectangular steel tubing. We have located the leaf springs inward enough to allow for >12" of wheel/tire under stock sheet metal:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The car currently is having new quarter skins welded in, as the body lines had been lost in bondo prior to my purchase.

attachment.php

A close up of the Boyd Coddington Smoothies:

attachment.php

Okay...so where do we stuff this MONSTER MOTOR???

attachment.php

But we need an intercooler, right?

More to follow....

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0795.JPG
    tn_IMG_0795.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 725
  • tn_IMG_0792.JPG
    tn_IMG_0792.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 721
  • Sponsors (?)

INTERCOOLER:

Yeah...it's too big.

It's ugly.

It ruins the front end view and the lines of the 'R' valence. The brake duct holes have to be filled.

Tough!

attachment.php

The straight on view:

attachment.php

Alright...that's enough for now. For those who are interested...the rest can simply ignore it!

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0812.JPG
    tn_IMG_0812.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 720
  • tn_IMG_0811.JPG
    tn_IMG_0811.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 722
This is a Rod & Custom Motorsports tubular MII-type front end. Includes coilover shocks and a front swaybar. Also has the 11" front disc brakes. Given the lack of SERIOUS pushing of the car [that is, pushing it repeatedly where the brakes can overheat] they will HOPEFULLY be enough.

Nice kit, not the ultimate in handling, but FAR better than stock, and gives a LOT of room...

...and rack & pinion steering...

...and disc brakes...

For anything short of a serious track car [and my 2+2 is going to be built into one of those] it is a great setup.

A bit more info: if you look at the front leaf mounts, they are located on the tube that also locates the front 2 tubes for the roll bars. Then there is a 3rd piece of steel that ties the rear tube of the roll bar into that same cross member.

I will post further pics of the structural steel that ties the rear subframe/roll bar into the front structures. There is more tubing to be added as well. The front end will be caged, but nothing overhead...it's a 'vert, right?

All of that horsepower will be needed to move the additional 100's of lbs of steel :)

See what I mean...this was likely considered illegal to do to classic Mustangs in the not-to-distant past!

mtbdoc said:
INTERCOOLER:

Yeah...it's too big.

It's ugly.

It ruins the front end view and the lines of the 'R' valence......

Form follows function, I guess, but you're right. It's ugly. But the subframe and roll cage look good and I really like the stance.

I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome. It should definitely be a head-turner. I only hope you end up with a driver and not a "pro-show" trailer queen!:notnice:

Car shows are more fun to visit than enter...I found that out a few months ago with the GTO. What a pain it was, trying to get the car spotless and deal w/ all of the scheduling stuff. Yeah, I won a big trophy. Woo woo...don't mean to offend those of you who are serious showing your cars, but I want to drive.

Also, for a show, I just couldn't see putting that much into an engine. Others do, but it makes no sense to me. Obviously I won't drive it a lot as it will be a scary, snarly beast. As we have discussed about the engine: the car should make you a little nervous each time you grab the keys to go for a ride...Single digit quarter mile times with the front wheels off the ground.

Just to clarify: I re-read the first section and it is a bit confusing. This car will not be ready for the Power Tour [this year]. But I do hope to actually drive it on the road this summer/fall...but there remains a LOT left to do.

mtbdoc said:
A bit more info: if you look at the front leaf mounts, they are located on the tube that also locates the front 2 tubes for the roll bars. Then there is a 3rd piece of steel that ties the rear tube of the roll bar into that same cross member.

I will post further pics of the structural steel that ties the rear subframe/roll bar into the front structures. There is more tubing to be added as well. The front end will be caged, but nothing overhead...it's a 'vert, right?

All of that horsepower will be needed to move the additional 100's of lbs of steel :)

See what I mean...this was likely considered illegal to do to classic Mustangs in the not-to-distant past!

I hope those brackets on the axle tubes are for mock up only. You should not even consider using those, or any form of lowering block, with that much torque. Even with Caltracs or Slide-A-Links, the extra leverage those brakcets would give to the natural pinion rise caused by 800 lb-ft (more or less) of torque is going to bend your spring leafs the first time you get a good hook. To achieve correct ride height I would contact a local spring shop to build a custom set, getting them to commit in advance to work with you to achieve the correct ride height.

I would also consider some form of wind-up control. One option would be the Caltracs or Slide-A-Links. Another would be this Evolution Motorsports Watts link plus torque arm setup. (The torque arm is still in development.)

Uhhh...yeah....the springs are the ANCIENT ones that I installed in '79!!! But it would be kind of interesting to watch! The blocks and THIN u-bolts are simply to start looking at height and get wheels/axles figured out.

I've already begun talking w/the Caltrac folks about both a set of Caltracs as well as their new split monoleaf springs http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63547 . And the other option is a spring builder locally...

As far as EvM...their rear end will likely go in the 2+2!

If I was starting from scratch, I would likely do something different with the rear end. Initially, my friend the fabricator just talked of moving the leafs, no big deal...and things have just blossomed! For a car like this, the Air Ride rear might have been a good setup as well. This project definitely shows what happens as you keep moving the target!

And yeah, by the grace of God I have minimal permanent damage from the accident. As I was 45 when it happened, and I managed to destroy C6, I am MOST GRATEFUL that a bit of weakness [C7 nerve root injury] is all I have to deal with.

Update: well, very little has progressed. McAllister has NOT been at all realiable on the engine front, with some dispute now being dealt with via my CC company. I have had zero time for that car, and my friend's shop has been quite busy. All of my time has been taking the STS rear mount turbo off of my GTO and installing a twin [traditional front mount] turbo setup on it.

The engine width w/ blower [if the 408 ends up in the car] is very wide. The D2 is huge and will necessitate cutting into the inner sheet metal in front of the driver's side front wheel...interesting fabrication issue. If I go back to the original plan [331 stroker w/ KB blower] there are a few different issues, such as the brake booster interfering with the blower.

The wheels are 17 X 11 on the back...Boyd Smoothie 2's. Really nice looking wheels. "Updated" modification to a classic design.

HOPEFULLY this project gets moving forward in the next couple of weeks. We're going to try to map out a flow chart and get tasks assigned. I really hope to have this car on the road in 2007.