Educate Me On the 98 GT Fuel System

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
As the title says, tell me all about it. I'm going supercharged (6 psi) and I want to know exactly what to expect when upgrading the fuel components.

I also have a few specific questions.

1. What size injectors would I need? I'm hoping to make 300ish horsepower out of my set up. I'm thinking 30 lbs would probably be enough.

2. I've heard something about using Cobra injectors (IDK which year model), but I've also heard that the wiring on the Cobra ones are different from the stockers. Any info on this?

3. Will a SVT Focus fuel pump work in a 98 GT? And if so, will it last?

4. If the Focus pump will not work, what's the best alternative? I'd like cheap, but this is my daily driver, so I need reliability more importantly.

5. I believe my FPR is welded on, I'm not 100% sure. I can take pictures, if needed. Let's assume the fuel rails are that style. Will I have any tuning problems with say a Focus pump and 30 pounders? I've heard of 98 GT's having to change over to an adjustable regulator, but that was on a higher horsepower application, more like 400.

6. I've also read something about a fuel bucket running dry? Once again, this was on a higher horsepower application than mine. Anything I need to worry about there?

That's all I can think of for the moment. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions over the next couple of months.

Thanks Stangnet! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

1, 24#, will support 300+rwhp, 30's will be better
2, i dont know about the cobra injectors
3, i dont belive the svt pump will work
4, go with the the walbro gss340 255lph (that what i have)
5, yes, i had to go with a MMR adjustable regulator for aftermarket rails
6, YES, i belive that what happing to my car, im going to remove it and drill some holes in it!

Ive had my 98 up to around 300 rwhp N/A with the stock pump, rails, regulator, and 24 lb injectors and had no problems.

If you are worried about it, get a kenne bell boost-a-pump. Install is a snap and I'm currently running just that with my stock pump at 427 rwhp.