Educate me on the Terminators

BlackenedSVT

Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Hey guys, i've been away from the boards for a while now. Busy working and all. I've been contemplating leasing/financing a new F-150...but everytime i think about selling my GT, a voice in my mind always says "only for a cobra" sooo i figured if was willing to finance a new truck...why not a cobra?

I'm looking to getting a 2003 or 2004 Cobra. I know a lot already about the cars, but i wanted to know which one you would recommend i look into getting...and why. Are both engine blocks the same? Anything they changed mechanically or otherwise in the 2004 model over the 03?

Next, how much would an 03 Cobra go for now with around 20k miles. How about an 04? I'd like to get an idea of pricing so i dont get haggled at a dealership while im looking around.

And finally. I'll be looking to sell my GT...and last case scenario, trade her in. So what is an 2002 GT 5spd worth with 62k miles on it, mods in my sig..well actually there are other mods that aren't mentioned (like lowering springs and other stuff). What should i price it at? I was going to start pricing at $12k negotiable To be honest, the only thing wrong with my GT is the hood and front bumper need to be repainted. They've seen a lot of highway driven, and its cought up with the car. I do all regular preventive maintenance to it myself. I even keep a log book of everything i've done to the car sice i've owned it since 27k miles. Yeah im anal like that

i think build wise they are pretty much the same. the 04 mioght have a few small bugs worked out.

as far as you car...12k sounds about right for that mileage I SEE THE OLDER BODY STYLE WITH 90,000MLIES AND PEOPLE ASK ANYWHERE FROM 6-9 grand for them.

sorry about caps...at work

Cobra > *
The only issues with them (don't believe it was ever fixed...possibly in late late 04 models but not sure) is that the coolant ports are kinda weak and if you do anything resembling a sustained higher RPM run in 5th or 6th gear you'll seize the pistons to the block and lock up the engine. Other than that I can't think of anything really bad to say about them besides IRS + Wheelhop sucks.

Either year is good. The biggest down fall of them is the IRS, that is if you drag race it. It costs more to build up the IRS than it does to get 500 rwhp. Thats no joke! I would recommend a solid axel if your gonna drag it. If you want to have something a little different look in to the 10 Aniv Cobra 03 Cobra. Has cool red inserts, special rims and badging.

If you would want to make the drive my friend has a Sonic Blue 03 with low 3x,000 miles that makes around 550 rwhp. Has a built IRS and all the goodies. PM me if intrested.

Hmm thanks for the info guys. yeah i knew about the 10th anniv edition packaged Cobras. Also I need to sell my car 1st, or trade it in. So I wouldn't be looking to buy right away. And I idealy want a black on black cobra. I'm picky and dont like much of anythign else =)

There really are no differences between the 03 and 04? surprising

Skimmed through the FAQ, out of curiosity... what's this about the Mach460 not playing MP3's, even burned onto CD's?

My 2002 V6 had the Mach460, and played MP3's on CD's I made. My 2003 GT has the Mach460, and plays MP3's on CD's I made.

Aftermarket headunit solves that.

Steeda I feel your pain with the need for black on black. After owning a black mustang I'd never want another colored vehicle, even though it's a PITA to keep clean I think black is the sexiest color on a car, period.

Hmph sorry about that kilgore.

Anyway. So i just got a quote for insurance for myself (own policy, 23 year old, 2pts on the license) and my agent told me....get this......$1,950 a YEAR for FULL COVERAGE here in NJ using NJ Skyland auto group insurance

I was shocked!!! Does that Auto group not pay their claims or something?! I'm still amazed. Thats for an 03 Cobra folks. ...rediculous!

Furthermore, can someone give me an estimation on how much 03 cobras are going for now-a-days? The on I'm looking at is currently $27,500 with 20k miles on it i think...seems kinda high.

For reference, I sold my 03 Cobra (black) last fall in Ohio with 12k miles for $25k, stock w/K&N FIPK

Minor differences between 03-04 and not enough to base a purchase on.
Every car has weak links and the Termi's are no different but they can withstand a good amount of power before breaking something.

IRS isn't that bad, the cars hook, they just squat and go and it handles very well for a car of their girth. The IRS can be durable if treated properly and equipped with a brace. I was launching on ETstreets at 4k with stock everything + Billetflow brace and had no problems what so ever.

They are expensive to insure, even for old folk with clean records

Things to watch out for:

The Tick
TSB on this. Try a search, lot of info

Clunk
TSB on this also. IRS related noises

Drivetrain slop
Forces you to be smooth when shifting, you get used to it quickly. They all have this

Wheelhop
IRS, there are many fixes, but the easiest is traction (DR's)

Diff cover
Check to make sure it's not leaking. Common for the cover to crack (or even the pumpkin itself) from wheelhop and the BF brace cures this

Pulley
Check the sc snout, if the black plastic plug is gone, it's likely had a pulley on it

All I can think of quickly, hope this helps

Fire them?!? I love them!! I dont know what your insurance rates are like, but my ins company told me they quoted a few places and insurance for me for a terminator on my own policy was 11k from one company, 9k from another and 7k from a 3rd (all full coverage)...until they found that last company that told me they'd give me $2k full coverage!!!

I dont want to fire anyone at all. Thats a GREAT price for insurance

Man, thats what I was thinking...1950 a year is a GREAT price for that car. Thats only around $160 a month. But for refrence, my GT went from 281 a month when I bought it new in 04, to NOW....get this, $110 per month . Full coverage.

Good luck in your search! And remember, NO HIGH SPEED RUNS IF YOU GET IT! (especially if pullied)