Engine Standard or hi flow water pump?

AnthonyA1234

5 Year Member
Aug 17, 2020
674
111
63
Florida
Looking to change the water pump on my 92 GT. It’s a HCI modded car and I live in Miami with super hot temps.

Is there an advantage to high volume pumps or should I stick with standard?

And what about fan clutches? Are the heavy duty’s the ones to get or are they super loud?
 
My rig is an all-street, 480ish HP boosted combo with a 3-core aluminum radiator and a standard volume water pump with no cooling issues.

I use an HD fan clutch and if it's louder, I can't hear it over the engine and exhaust. :shrug: It does clean the leaves off the driveway at idle.
My main issue is I’ve gone through 4 different fan clutches and they all WOOO like a supercharger after like 2 months of use. It’s embarrassingly loud especially when I rev the engine. My water pump pulley is slightly crooked so I believe maybe that’s making my clutches go bad quickly?

I guess I’ll try replacing the water pump with a motorcraft unit and putting a heavy duty fan clutch. I can use the extra fan power, my ac always struggles when the car is at a stop.
 
The crooked pulley would concern me too.

The other thing is that you may not need an HD fan clutch at all. That's a longer convo but the short of it is that they [tend] to lockup a little sooner. There are instances where this is not always the case.

Is your fan shroud in good shape?
 
Yea my fan shrouds good.

So you think I should do a SD or a HD clutch?


If you are concerned about the noise and have experienced noise from an HD before then try it.

The HD clutch holds harder at high rpm (which for a street engine at 6250 rpm max, is not a big deal) and little stiffer at the low end and idle. With my 3-core, I chose the HD [because] of the extra stiffness on the low end and because when I built my engine, my factory clutch was still installed (might have even been good still).
 
It’s more of an investment but a large core two row aluminum radiator will help immensely with a good fan (mechanical or electric).

I ran and still run a Mark VIII fan, Motorcraft standard volume pump, and a Fluidyne radiator. With the AC on in Houston traffic I never had an issue and it’s been great in the Oklahoma summers.

Try a new pump and get ride of the crooked water pump pulley. Check the radiator and AC condenser fins and make sure the air passages are not blocked with debris. If they are blocked pull the radiator and power wash the AC condenser clean. Check the radiator and clean it if necessary. I’ve seen AC condensers with debris and just cleaning it out fixed the problem being they are in front of the radiator. If it’s still getting hot make damn sure the fan clutch is locking up when needed and if not replace it. From there if it is still getting too hot replace the radiator with a quality aluminum unit.