"EGR FLOW INSUFICIENT" trouble code???

• Sponsors (?)

We get these a lot at the dealer, and more often than not it is the sensor. However a good quick way to check is to start the car and let it idle, and then get a vacuum pump and pull a vacuum on the egr valve. If the car bogs and acts like it's going to die, or does die, then it is probably the sensor. If the egr valve has no effect on the engine, then your egr valve is probably stuck. Good luck! Will

At my work we get a lot of thoes codes on the newer fords. Its usually from built up carbon in the EGR passage. Pull the EGR off (2 bolts) and check for carbon buildup. If it fully of carbon scrape it out trying not to get it in the intake, then put it back together.

Just telling you what we see at the garage.... Its mostly from the newer ford trucks with the 5.4, but its possible it happened to you.

juiced_94gt said:
thats what i pulled with my scanner today and is setting off my check engine light, is it the egr valve itself thats bad or is it the egr sensor? anybody ever had this problem? a new sensor is 28.00 at for and the egr valve is 300.00

i saw a new egr on genuinefordparts.com for like 50 something bux. where did you get 300 from

Also, might want to trace the green hose that provides a "dithering" pulse to the EGR. If you have a leak it will throw the same code. I had broke mine during the head swap and spliced it together. I couple weeks later got that same code and found my splice job had come undone. The red hose follows along the green hose and I believe supplies vacuum to the EGR controller inside the fender. Not 100% on that though. Could also cause a EGR supply error code.

Also make sure the sensor is calibrated to the valve. The valve's seat can wear, so when the valve is closed, the sensor thinks it is not, and vice verse.

This is just ancillary - William and 1105 hit what I bet is the nail, on the head.

Good luck.

1105 said:
At my work we get a lot of thoes codes on the newer fords. Its usually from built up carbon in the EGR passage. Pull the EGR off (2 bolts) and check for carbon buildup. If it fully of carbon scrape it out trying not to get it in the intake, then put it back together.

Just telling you what we see at the garage.... Its mostly from the newer ford trucks with the 5.4, but its possible it happened to you.

Yup, ditto that.......And like said also, check the vacuum lines....Those little buggers a really easy to break.
Scott