EGR KOER code 33

Low86GT

Apr 9, 1999
San Jose, CA
I know that this code means that the computer is not seeing the valve open.
I have a new valve and sensor cause the old valve was blown out. The sensor was just for good messure but I get the same error with the old sensor as well so I think it can be ruled out as being the cause of the error.

I know I have good vacuum to the egr solinoid.
I know that if I apply vacuum to the egr valve it will open but I havent test just how much vacuum it takes to open it.

I know I need to get a vacuum pump with gauge so I can see how much it takes to open the valve incase maybe the new valve is taking too much vacuum to open but that is unlikely.

What is the best way if any to test the egr solenoid?
I know that one side is voltage reference from the computer and the other is a signal back to the computer so I don't think putting power or ground on there would be good but I don't know.

Anyone?

This is an 86 with mass air conversion but that doesnt make a difference for the egr.

thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

old post... but the answer is to jumper a test light between the vref and the sigrtn while the car is in diagnostic mode (jumper wire from the Self test input connector to the signal return pin, which is pin#2). turn key to run but not start, and watch for a flash. if you see it, the solenoid is working.