EGR problem?? Surging Idle?

jefferz

Oct 21, 2004
Spokane, WA
Hello,

My Mom was driving my 95 Mustang with the 5.0 swap about a week ago when right after she got gas the car started running horrible. It had black smoke coming out and it was running pretty rough. The idle kept dropping to under 500 rpm and acting like it was going to die up to over 1000rpm and back and forth most of the time while it idled.

We thought she may have gotten bad gas so we replaced the filter and ran injector cleaner through it, it didn't fix the problem so I let it sit for a little while and I drove our truck.

Now this mainly happened when it was idling, very rarely cutting out while I was driving it, it was just a pain to keep at idle because when you would touch the gas at idle the car would start to die. When I did drive it, it drove normal for the most part, and still had power.

I cleaned the IAC and the Mass Airflow Sensor, I was going to replace the TPS but then I ran it down to our O'reilly Auto Parts store here and I pulled these codes:

157 MAF sensor went below 0.4 volts during the last 80 warm-up cycles.
158 MAF sensor went above 4.5 volts during the last 80 warm-up cycles.
181 Right side still lean, at richest adaptive limit, during part throttle.
189 Left side still lean, at richest adaptive limit, during part throttle.
332 EGR valve opening not detected.
565 Canister purge circuit failure

I sent the codes to a mechanic buddy of mine and he said I should replace the EGR and the MAF sensor.

Is that what I should do? I am just trying to get the car running again, it has high miles but I don't have the money yet to rebuild and build it up like I want to, and I also can't afford to drive my truck, because it is lifted with 35's and I put $60 in the tank thursday night and only got 179 miles out of it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hello,

My Mom was driving my 95 Mustang with the 5.0 swap about a week ago when right after she got gas the car started running horrible. It had black smoke coming out and it was running pretty rough. The idle kept dropping to under 500 rpm and acting like it was going to die up to over 1000rpm and back and forth most of the time while it idled.

We thought she may have gotten bad gas so we replaced the filter and ran injector cleaner through it, it didn't fix the problem so I let it sit for a little while and I drove our truck.

Now this mainly happened when it was idling, very rarely cutting out while I was driving it, it was just a pain to keep at idle because when you would touch the gas at idle the car would start to die. When I did drive it, it drove normal for the most part, and still had power.

I cleaned the IAC and the Mass Airflow Sensor, I was going to replace the TPS but then I ran it down to our O'reilly Auto Parts store here and I pulled these codes:

157 MAF sensor went below 0.4 volts during the last 80 warm-up cycles.
158 MAF sensor went above 4.5 volts during the last 80 warm-up cycles.
181 Right side still lean, at richest adaptive limit, during part throttle.
189 Left side still lean, at richest adaptive limit, during part throttle.
332 EGR valve opening not detected.
565 Canister purge circuit failure

I sent the codes to a mechanic buddy of mine and he said I should replace the EGR and the MAF sensor.

Is that what I should do? I am just trying to get the car running again, it has high miles but I don't have the money yet to rebuild and build it up like I want to, and I also can't afford to drive my truck, because it is lifted with 35's and I put $60 in the tank thursday night and only got 179 miles out of it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Id take a look at the EGR system before moving any further.

Thanks guys I will look into that all tonight. I did just replace the fuel pump probably less than 20,000 miles ago because I had the V6 pump in there still and it didn't like that believe it or not lol.

I am hoping it is just the EGR valve, but things are never that simple!

Thanks guys I will look into that all tonight. I did just replace the fuel pump probably less than 20,000 miles ago because I had the V6 pump in there still and it didn't like that believe it or not lol.

I am hoping it is just the EGR valve, but things are never that simple!

Maf codes could be from cleaning it out... You can apply vacuum to the egr valve to test it.