Electrical Gremlins

Jeff98GTConv

Dec 7, 2018
I currently own a 1998 GT Convertible (automatic), I’ve also had a ’94 GT (5 spd), 89 Mark VII LSC, and ’91 Mark VII LSC. Here’s my current dilemma. I’ve had the 98 for 5 years now, and have had no issues what so ever. I’ve been cleaning it up over that past few years. A new top, new Cobra R wheels, new seats (upholstery and foam), white face gauges. Most recently, I replaced the shift indicator (the orange faded then it completely cracked and fell out. I located NOS and replaced it. Here’s where it starts, after replacement, I now have electrical issues. The conv top button now de-activates when the e-brake is on, the blinkers don’t work until you push the top button, but the 4 way flashers work, no reverse lights, the top only goes up/down when put in reverse, you can put the trans in gear without stepping on the brake (brake safety switch). Here are my questions

I can live with the other issues, but to keep it street legal and pass DMV inspection.

• Should I wire up my own switch, relay, and blinkers? Reverse lights? or
  • Do I sell the car as is? And move on?

• Sponsors (?)

How about fix the car you have? Likely there's a bad ground. Likely G300 or G204 located:

Below rear of center console​

Behind center of I/P​

Also likely the switch that grounds out when the e-brake is applied is likely not making good connection. Perhaps a drink spill in the center console area. Does the dash brake light come on when the e-brake is applied?

Here's some information on how to perform voltage drop testing to confirm the ability of black wires to carry a real ground current back to battery negative. The test light is your friend.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

Yes, the brake light does come on. I will fix the car, I'm just venting, or preaching to the choir of fellow Mustang fans. Strength in numbers, just looking for some positive energy. Thank you for responding with some good info.