Electrical/lighting issue - Head scratcher

Setup:
Ground up restore -- Now my front lights are not working correctly.

- The 2-lead directional connector (with #194 bulb) behaves like the running-lamp. It goes on with the headlights

- The 3-lead connector (with #3157 bulb) is behaving like the directional. It blinks with -AND- without hazards. Instrument cluster indicator works as does the flasher relay pinging.

- I disconnected the headlamp bulb and tested each of the 3 leads
Black=ground tested to body --> OK
Red = normal headlight --> has power w/ headlights switch in full on position
Green = High beam --> has power w/headlights switch in full on position

Problem :: Only normal light setting will illuminate bulb -- high beam does not work at all

Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I had thought it was related to my relocating wires outside of the engine compartment...but I just verified off the 8 line connector (drivers side), which provides power to the front lamps, that my connections were accurate... All were color matched.

Back to the garage for more tests...

I"m not exactly sure what you moved. I need to look up a wiring diagram. Which is the 8 line connector you are referring to? FYI, your hi-beams are not directly connected to the headlight switch. Well, I mean they are but they are not a direct in/out like the lows. The highs are wired into the turn signal lever. The least you should have is a Passing beam. That will work even if the HL switch is disconnected. If that does not work, then you got some other problem. The standard high beams also go through the signal switch, but get their power from the HL switch. That is why the HV's wont turn on when the switch is off... this is the only exception. This is why I was asking if the Flash to Pass worked , because it doesn't need the HL switch to function.

BTW, KUDOS on your engine pic. Lotta chrome, but not too much. There's one thing I love, and that's CLEAN engine compartments.

Additional Updates.

- I don't feel that I am much closer to a solution

- There is a Black 8-pin connector which runs along the drivers side of engine compartment. This connector provides power to all lamps in front

- My Running lights are still behaving like directionals...and vice versa

- High beam on headlights does not work
Nor does the Instrument Cluster (IC) show high beams are on.

- Flash-to-pass does nothing, but the IC high beam indicator DOES come on.

- Page 17-01-7 of the 1992 Ford Mustang shop manual illustrates 6 tests to perform upon the headlight switch. I passed all tests with the exception of the last one (#6), where a jumper is placed between the Brown and Red/Yellow wires.

What should happen is that the IC bulbs illuminate. They did not. The shop manual recommends the following: trace the Red/Yellow wire to the dimmer switch.

Note: With this test #6, I believe there is a presumption that the Red/Yellow wire is always hot. In my case, it is not. It only goes hot when the headlight position is selected...it does not go hot with the running lights.

- When the running and/or headlamp switch is on, the IC illuminates fine and the adjuster works to increase/decrease IC bulb intensity. The ON position of this switch works as well.

- When the headlight switch is in the Running or headlight position, the Dimmer brown wires and Blue/Red wires test positive for 12 volts.

- I did find that the Red/Yellow connector easily slides out of the Multifunction switch (MF) easily. Prior to each test, I would use needle nose pliers to slide them in all the way. I used small zip ties to remedy this situation while I continue to search for the root cause

- I've done some exhaustive searching on this Forum....I'll continue, but I've reached a point where most of the content is repetitive...and already tested.

Thoughts --- I had considered the hack of swapping the running light and directional wires, but this does not fix the headlight problems. I also don't like hacks...

Check the light ground assemblies located at the corner of each headlight. They bolt down to the radiator support frame. They are G102 & G103 in the diagram - look for the red lines & circles.

64670d1290444724-wiring-help-connector-identification-turn-signal-grounds-engine-comartment-wiring.jpg