Emergency Brake Troubles

iyaoyas10

May 13, 2012
i have a 2005 v6 and we i bought it with 68,000 miles on it the parking brake lever wouldnt move. since then ive gotten it to go about half way up but now it seems like its dragging. i can really tell upon acceleration (and on my gas gauge) i dont really know what to do. advice would be nice. also any good cheap and easy weekend project ideas would be nice!!!

• Sponsors (?)

i have a 2005 v6 and we i bought it with 68,000 miles on it the parking brake lever wouldnt move. since then ive gotten it to go about half way up but now it seems like its dragging. i can really tell upon acceleration (and on my gas gauge) i dont really know what to do. advice would be nice. also any good cheap and easy weekend project ideas would be nice!!!

Hey,
Most likely 6 years too late but this may be helpful to other 2005 owners who have ‘stuck’ parking brakes. Seems that the design of the cables (amongst other 2005 defects) allowed water into the cable where they attach to the rear parking brake springs. When it rusts to a certain point, they seize and they are done! If your comfortable doing moderate garage work, you can order cables that are upgraded. Look for sealed steel braided cables inside the cable housing. If you see the steel braid you probably have the defective version. They are under tension so you’ll need to loosen the parking brake tension screw. It’s located in the center console arm rest. If the handle is in the down position (and you can’t move the handle) you most likely will need to manouver the console to get at the tension screw. There is a small panel that is at the back of the brake handle but it’s very tough to get at without some wiggle room. An angled 90 degree wrench will get you around the nut that’s attached to the fixed screw. I didn’t have one and decided I’d move the console. Needed to do other work. There’s some good videos on cable removal. Good luck if you attempt this. Count on 4-8 hours and lot of expletives.