Engine Engine keeps flooding out

rockyracoon

10 Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
margate NJ
I'm thinking maybe my return fuel line is plugged. Can someone tell me which one is the return line at the rail, is it the smaller diameter line I'd like the blow compressed air and see if it goes through. The car will start first thing in the morning and it seems like it's running really rich black smoke coming out the tailpipes. After that it won't start up until I pull the fuse for the fuel pump and then a few minutes later it will start but then die out of course without the fuse in.

• Sponsors (?)

Your problem is not going to be a plugged fuel return line
It is going to be the MAF sensor or something like that most likely
You did not mention what you're driving but you need to check the codes
1995 GT ? check the processor ground(s)

Can't get it running long enough to generate any codes. I mean the longest it has ran was like 5 minutes at a time. I just finished with a pi intake swap. It is idling like 1100 rpms but no vacuum leaks. It's pulling 22 inches of vacuum at idle and it cuts right off if I disconnect the IAC connector. I'm gonna check the fuel pressure tomorrow and I'll look into the MAF sensor.

Oh yeah and it's a 96 gt. I sold my 95 gt.
I got this car with the motor out of it so I have no idea how it ran before. It has low miles though.

Last edited:
What forum would you suggest Nightfire?
You got any answers or just that forum quip?
Back to the question, Yes the little fuel line is the return
We used to block that one off in order to rail clean the injectors using the Ford pressurized injector cleaner
You can do the same to test a leaking fuel pressure regulator

If it runs for 5 minutes, that is long enough to generate codes
Hell 30 seconds or less will do it
What exactly happens when it dies?
Is it still sparking the plugs as it dies?
What is happening to the fuel pressure as it dies?
Some diagnostic rest equipment on the car and you sit and have a beer while you watch it die