Engine Mod Questions

Black_Betty

Nov 12, 2006
Well I was thinking about putting a twin turbo or a supercharger on my 01 stock GT. I was wondering if i needed to build the engine up before i do that like change the block out or heads cam crank pistons fuel injectors i dont know where to start or if i even need to do ne thing ... and what do u think is better a supercharger or twin turbo?? also i want to put a shaker hood on there and i was wondering if ne of these things would effet that??

• Sponsors (?)

Well I was thinking about putting a twin turbo or a supercharger on my 01 stock GT. I was wondering if i needed to build the engine up before i do that like change the block out or heads cam crank pistons fuel injectors i dont know where to start or if i even need to do ne thing ... and what do u think is better a supercharger or twin turbo?? also i want to put a shaker hood on there and i was wondering if ne of these things would effet that??
TT is going to cost $10,000+ and will need to be tuned and retuned all the time to keep it running properly, this setup is difficult to maintain.

SC is goint to cost about $5000 and is a lot easier to install and maintain.

You will need to build up the engine if you make more than 400HP (approx guideline)

You should not have made this thread, you should do some research, do searches, and learn enough to ask more specific questions.

A shaker hood is not compatible with either setup.

Are you in high school?

Yeah Im still in high school and sorry for botherin ya about this i should have done more research. thanks for the help though. But idk what i need to replace in the engine like what are the weak spots??

connecting rods, piston and crank, they're all weak

search "supercharger" in the 4.6 section for LOTS of info

and not to sound condecending or anything but you're in highschool, shouldn't you be bitching about how you can barely afford gas and insurance?:shrug:

well ... first off i decided against the 357 stroker for a few different reasons and i dont bitch about gas or insurance becuase i have a truck also for everyday driving and i dont have to pay insurance as long as i dont get ne tickets. and ill get some pictures up shortly. again thanks for all the help and just cuz im in highschool doesnt mean that this car isnt gonna kick some ass lol

TT is going to cost $10,000+ and will need to be tuned and retuned all the time to keep it running properly, this setup is difficult to maintain.

QUOTE]

that is sooo untrue.. just b/c you have a Twin turbo doesn't mean your going to have to keep getting it tuned.

as long as you dont change anything on your setup and dont decide to turn up the boost your tune shouldn't change. now if you decide you want to go from 10psi to 15psi of boost, yea it would be best to get a retune.

but going out and saying "will need to be tuned and retuned all the time to keep it running properly"i s complete bulls... And what makes them difficult to maintain? You have to change your oil every 2500 miles instead of 3000? Theres no supercharger belts to worry about breaking and having to find one long enough to replace a broken one with.

If anything they are easier to maintain b/c all you have to do is check the oil and occassionally check the connections of everything..

I'm speaking from experience of having 3 turbocharged cars (1 being twin turbo carburated) and 2 supercharged cars.

of those 5 cars, the supercharged cars were by far the WORST in maintenance.

Whats the difference if he's in highschool, or if he's retired. And what business is it of anyones' what he can, or can't afford. He asked a simple question if you don,t want to waste your time on this thread because someone asked the same question before, don't take the time trying to act like your better than him or anyone else. Go hang out with people who share the same intellect that you proclaim to be bless with, and leave us simple folk alone.

Well, first off you should start out by getting a ride in a 400rwhp car. I understand the desire to shoot higher, but 400hp is a lot of power on the road. Also, the twin setup will require things like an aftermarket K member and a LOT of work and $$. Also, to build a fuel system to support over 500rwhp, you start looking into thousands of $$... so it adds up quickly.

Best bang for your buck would be the single turbo systems. On a stock motor you can normally run 450rwhp with no issues. Contrary to popular belief, twins are no better than a properly sized single turbo, and tend to be more reliable due to having half the parts. A turbo will give you the widest torque curve out of the other forced induction options, and also produces about 80-120 extra usable HP at the crank because you arn't sucking that power off to turn a SC.

Remember to save $$ for brake upgrades. What goes, needs to stop too.
You will also need wheel and tire upgrades to keep that power on the road safely. Then there will be the random parts you will break/wear out that you should keep in mind as well.

For a twin setup, mild built motor, and supporting mods, your looking at an easy $15-20K assuming you can do some or most of the work.

Good luck with whatever you do.

your best bet for minimal cash is a vortech mongoose kit. it'll run you about $4K and you will have close to 400 rwhp. that is more than enough for someone in HS! mods add up quickly. when you up the HP you need more supporting mods. i just installed a $1000 gas tank in my car on friday. my trans was almost $4000, the rearend was another $1500.

you need to know what you want and how much you are willing to spend. it'll save you money in the end. i have more money in mods than i paid for the car!! last count about 3 months ago was $19000 in mods and i'm not finished yet!!