Engine pinging? Exhaust leak?

SA_Twister

Mar 7, 2012
Globe Arizona
Ok so i will admit this is my first Mustang and I'm a bit of a girl about things. (please laugh at me if I'm just being a worry wort) That being said i have noticed a slight tick coming from under my hood. I only notice it at idle slightly but when I'm starting off from a dead stop, as I'm letting the clutch out the tick is a bit more noticeable. I am running 91 octane which is the highest i can get in my area. Could this be a ping or possibly an exhaust leak? Perhaps something i haven't thought of? My knowledge of these newer high tech motors is quite limited unfortunately. Thanx in advance for any help. Btw this is a 2010 gt 4.6L

• Sponsors (?)

It's hard to answer with hearing it in person it may be normal intake or injector noise. What I can tell you for sure that it is not pinging. You wouldn't get pinging at idle, you would get it while accelerating. Assuming you car has the factory tune then 91 octane is more then sufficient, in fact it is a waste of money. Our cars will run and perform just fine with 87 octane, Though i don't practice what a preach because I like you also use 91 octane with the factory tune.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanx for the response. I actually didnt think about noisy injectors. I had a 90 F150 with the 5.0 and it had a really simular noise and it was just noisy injectors. I guess I should stop being such a girl really lol I have a 100,000 mile warrenty so Ill try not to worry untill/if something really goes wrong. Thanx again

The 4.6 has a cam on top of each head opening and closing 12 valves each, plus 8 injectors, and transmission noise. High quality oil and trans fluid should keep it quiet and running smoother at low speed.
It's a good car, but it's only a Ford. It will make some noises.

Reactions: 1 users