Engine Removal (1992 5.0)

First off... this is a phenominal website. I can't believe the wealth of information and photos people share here.

I want to remove engine and all components from engine bay to prep for a color change. Engine & exhaust will be completely replaced.

I don't need a tremendous amount of detail, but help with some tips would be appreciated. I'm prepared to take pictures, labeling. and packaging of Hardware/etc. in zip lock bags. Any input on order, gotchas, tricks, etc would be greatly appreciated.

-D

• Sponsors (?)

you can remove the engine and tranny as one to make less work for you, just jack up the car after you disconnect the driveshaft and all the wiring and stuff under the hood, if your leaving the tranny in the car you can still just take all the 6 bolts from the bellhousing off and the tranny can stay in the car...this is my 94

Picture189.jpg

Attachments

• Picture189.jpg
    Picture189.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,266
What he said. I always remove the engine with the tranny attached, even if I only want to pull the engine. Removing the radiator and accessories made the job a lot easier in terms of pulling and reinstalling the engine/tranny for me. It takes literally 5 minutes with the help of a friend to get the engine/tranny back into or out of the car as an assembly. A good trick is to jack the rear of the car up high on jackstands when you are ready to pull them or reinstall them together. You'll see what I mean after you do this :D

The zip-lock bag method of cataloging hardware is a good one. Saves a lot of time when you are reassembling v.s. sifting through a bucket of bolts.

yea a hate to admit this one but i just did this recently and unless you drain the trans be sure to block off the shifter hole, speedo hole and the tail shaft. i used the end of a driveshaft i cut off. as long as you do that i would definately do it in one piece. also a bolt in opposite corners of the motor in the header bolt holes turned out to be a pretty good move when we pulled it. didn't even need a leveler! and you can leave the whole intake assymbled good luck to ya.

It is pretty straight forward. The only thing I can think of that can get people is ground straps. I tend to forget about those things, and when you forget to hook them back up and the car won't start....rrrggrrrrrr. Just look for them on the firwall, and the core support and you will be good.

Engine Removal - for engine compartment Paint

Guys... this info has been very helpful.

I should add that I need to completely gut the engine compartment because we're changing the color of the car.

We're putting stupid money into this rebuild/upgrade...so we need to do it right. Just looking for help here to simply things or get it right the first time.

Once again... many thanks again for your input.

I label both sides of each electrical connection I disconnect with duct tape and a number written with a sharpie, then all you have to do is match numbers when you put it back together. After a couple of times, you don't have to do this anymore as it is second nature. Also motor and tranny at the same time is very nice.