engine shut off while driving?

BlackStang03

Mar 26, 2010
Ohio
This is a 2003 4.6L

Today while I was coming to a stop, when i pushed the clutch in, the car ideled real low (500RPM) then shot up to about 1k RPM then died....it did this 3 times total, all while coming to a stop with the clutch pushed in. I have also noticed while I am driving at a steady speed the car feels like I am punching the gas pedal sometimes, when I am not....And then finally I dunno if this has anything to do with it but sometimes when i go to start it, it will turnover for about 3 seconds, in which I normally punch the gas pedal and then it fires up. What could be the issue? I was thinking maybe an issue with the TPS, and it just turned over 57k miles today.

at WOT it feels fine...I have only saw the issue when stopping (pushing in the clutch) and also while at a stop..it lowers the RPM's, surges up and then seems to stall...

Can I get an IAC or TPS at a local parts store like autozone or advanced? or would I need one from the stealership?

You can order an IAC at any autoparts store, even if thats not the problem thats a part that will go bad, so it maybe needed changing anyway. Make sure all of your vacum hoses are properly sealed, you can use a butane lighter to check for leaks and listen for RPMs increasing.

I checked all the hoses I could find. I didnt see anything that was loose/not plugged in, that was the very first thing I checked as I have had issues with vacuum hoses causing some weird issues on other cars.

I think researching it sounds like an IAC or TPS, and seems like the mustang is kind of known for issues with both....I might go ahead and pick them both up...

I wouldnt run out & buy parts it may be just some bad gas or a vacum leak check all the hose clamps & even put a new gas filter if there is no code it could nothing but bad gas try sticking to newer gas stations that do a good buisness ......check that gas filter when its off try & remove it gently & drain it to see what was in the filter mud water ?

I ended up cleaning the IAC, and I also noticed with the new intake the hose was a little too loose going to the IAC so I ended up putting a zip tie around it to tighten it....I dont drive the car a whole lot so I guess only time will tell if that was the problem or not.