• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

engine "sputtering" problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter 98stangv8
  • Start date Start date Feb 21, 2004

98stangv8

Active Member
Oct 3, 2003
1,036
0
36
fayetteville, nc
Feb 21, 2004
#1
  • Feb 21, 2004
  • #1
ok...I have a 98gt...just replaced the fuel rail with one from a 97 (so I could change the regulator...can't do it on a 98)...I also added a c & l plenum...now it seems that my engine is sputtering...not all the time...just when I hammer it or sometimes at about 3/4 throttle...it FEELS like when a spark plug isn't working...or something along that line...like a cylinder isn't firing the correct way...

any thoughts?

thank you!
 

Spreadman

two wheels
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
10,904
3
0
Houston, TX
Feb 22, 2004
#2
  • Feb 22, 2004
  • #2
Could have a bad injector, or water in your gas. My car does the same thing when I get a bad tank of gas. I say run through that tank and then fill up at a reputable station and see what happens.
 

98stangv8

Active Member
Oct 3, 2003
1,036
0
36
fayetteville, nc
Feb 22, 2004
#3
  • Feb 22, 2004
  • #3
Spreadman said:
Could have a bad injector, or water in your gas. My car does the same thing when I get a bad tank of gas. I say run through that tank and then fill up at a reputable station and see what happens.
Click to expand...


hmmm..maybe bad injector...I actually just refilled last night, hoping that was the problem...I checked all the connections for the spark plug wires...all tight...may be a bad plug...thanks for the help..
 

Spreadman

two wheels
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
10,904
3
0
Houston, TX
Feb 22, 2004
#4
  • Feb 22, 2004
  • #4
Also, throw some STP Injector Cleaner in your tank before you fill up. I did that when I got some really bad gas and it seemed to help. I almost had to syphon it all out it was running so bad.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
536
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
K
Electrical 2000 GT Intermittent Engine Shutdown In Motion - DTC U1262
  • kenster1092
  • Apr 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
278
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Apr 24, 2026
squeak93
I
Engine Insane fuel trims +25% LTFT Bank 1, -16% LTFT Bank 2
  • imw_stl
  • Aug 31, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
373
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Sep 19, 2025
Mustang5L5
I
98 Mustang GT dying
  • ItsMason
  • May 14, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
194
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 25, 2026
lenzgt
L
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
453
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?