Engine swap

• Sponsors (?)

ScreamingMimi said:
Has anyone else done an I6 to V8 swap in a 66 mustang? I am swapping the 6 cyl 200 with a 302 out of a 71 Torino - Any advice, trials, tribulations, warnings???? :crazy:

If you have a donor car, you should be good to go. Lots of little parts to think about. About the only thing I did new was a radiator and brake shoes. The rest came out of a dead Falcon which is the same, drive train wise, as a '65-'66 Mustang. I did the swap on a dead '65 Mustang convert. That was in '91. Still driving it. Be patient and it will all bolt up.

Thanks for the tips on the rear end - I'm going to see what's up with mine this weekend - I did hear something i'm not really sure of - my mustang is the Sprint model - supposedy the spring ALREADY got the heavier duty suspension and rearend out of the GT - it does have the GT console and other such stuff. BUT since a 200 is a 200 is a 6 cylinder - how do you tell the difference between the I6 parts and the V8? I was poking around both cars and had my hubby look - the tie rod ends, etc look identical on both cars. I just have to double check the rear ends. mine has the 4 lug axles - the donor has 5 lug - the only difference is that the springs on the I6 car are larger in overall width and thinner in the actual tubing (or whatever) I am wondering if the front suspension is the same? How to tell??? :shrug:

I pulled the tie rod ends - they are identical in weight and measurements - springs are definitely different - i haven't got to the rear end yet - I am going to meet with a friend who has a stock 65 with a 289 and compare the tie rod end to one of his - i'd be exceedingly thrilled if they are the same - or i am temporarily screwed if some bozo ran the donor car with a 289 with 6 cyl suspension :bang: :damnit:

JB66 said:
The Sprint 200 package was simply an appearance package. There were NO mechanical upgrades of any sort that would make it different than any other 6 cyl. Mustang.

Thank you - that cleared me up on that - i did think it odd to put heavy duty bits an pieces on a car sold on the merit of the inline 6 :rolleyes:

ScreamingMimi said:
I pulled the tie rod ends - they are identical in weight and measurements - springs are definitely different - i haven't got to the rear end yet - I am going to meet with a friend who has a stock 65 with a 289 and compare the tie rod end to one of his - i'd be exceedingly thrilled if they are the same - or i am temporarily screwed if some bozo ran the donor car with a 289 with 6 cyl suspension :bang: :damnit:

They may have been replaced at one time, :shrug:
Those would be the least parts to worry about,
I would be more concerned with the upper and lower A arms and such.

PB

the a-arms are about the only part that is the same for the 6'ers and the V8's.
V8 cars have beefier springs, stronger rears, larger spindles up front, and stronger steering systems(including tie rods, idler arm, and pitman arm)). The steering box is the same though, ratio's aside.

Well crappo - my donor has 6cyl suspension parts and rear end out of something unidentifiable - someone ran it with the 289 on 6 cyl parts - Once i get through my transmission issue - I'm back to square one with replacing those bits and pieces :mad: I checked the engine code on my donor - sure enough - 289. And i saw the engine pulled before i brought the donor home. well, the donor was free, i guess no real loss there. Anyway - I know more about what to look for - Thanks for the help!