Engine turned off while driving...and a min later smoke! Please help

Hey Gents,

You guys have been so helpful lately that I feel bad asking for help again.

So I was driving around looking for parking when the stang turned off....I couldn’t start it again....battery is good and starter cranking fine. I had to push the car in a parking spot and as I was pushing it started to smoke!

I checked oil, it was fine, antifreeze...fine...

Smoke was coming from the bottom half of the motor. Being that I was in the parking garage I really couldn't tell where it was coming from. I did see it rise from below the driver side header area but not the header itself. The car just wont start. Crank is strong. I did let it cool off for a few min...then it started but shut off after 5 sec. This all happened with no warning.

The only thing i noticed is the power steering pump started to make noise over the last few days since the PS oil level was pretty low.

other than that, no warning.

I left the car in garage but in a handicap spot where i pushed it...walked home to get a flash light and warmer jacket.

Can someone please help?

thank you!

• Sponsors (?)

if the car dies and continues to roll without the clutch pushed in then your oil could be just overflow coming out of your valve pans dripping to the exhaust. the first thing i would do is check the coil and distributor module.

if the car dies and continues to roll without the clutch pushed in then your oil could be just overflow coming out of your valve pans dripping to the exhaust. the first thing i would do is check the coil and distributor module.

interesting, but do you think the Dist & Coil would make it smoke from the bottom? I'm really at a loss regarding this stuff.. I'm waiting on my brother to pick me up and head over. it's a long way from home and too cold!

First thing i would do is make sure you can hear the fuel pump prime.
We had a pump go on our lx vert like 15 years ago, burnt a wire over by the coil in the process, and it smoked pretty good from under that plastic cover.
And that was when the car was physically only like 3 years old.
Happened to me at the mall, the car started up the next time for a couple seconds, but i guess when all the fuel pressure bled out, that was it.

First thing i would do is make sure you can hear the fuel pump prime.
We had a pump go on our lx vert like 15 years ago, burnt a wire over by the coil in the process, and it smoked pretty good from under that plastic cover.
And that was when the car was physically only like 3 years old.
Happened to me at the mall, the car started up the next time for a couple seconds, but i guess when all the fuel pressure bled out, that was it.

I think you're onto something here.....my FP is loud as hell. I bought it that way. I changed the fuel filter thinking it was quiet down but didn't. And this morning when I let her warm up for 10 min, I didn't hear the pump whining anymore. I only drove for 15 min before the engine turned off.

I'll have to check tonight when I go back. I'll bring a jack too. great point. i hope it's not the pump mainly because I filled the tank last night with sunoco 93!!! lol

thanks!!! I'll report back later tonight.

interesting, but do you think the Dist & Coil would make it smoke from the bottom? I'm really at a loss regarding this stuff.. I'm waiting on my brother to pick me up and head over. it's a long way from home and too cold!

the smoke from the bottom could be oil leaking down the back of your engine and getting on the exhaust system because when a car dies and the engine continues to turn over it is still pumping oil up into your valve pans. for now try to figure out why it died check the FP, coil, distributor, FP relays and see what u have from there.

UPDATE

I headed out with a jack and flashlight in had last night. I got under the car to see what burned and couldn't see anything.

I then hopped in the driver seat and turned the key past the accessory position.....I didn't hear the fuel pump prime. So there's the culprit! thanks 200xp8 for priming suggestion!

At this point i'm wondering what smoked was the FP relay as GT40 stated or it was the oil... I dont know much about this but want to learn

We pushed the car over to my mechanic. I left it in his hands since it's way too cold for me to work on it. I hate paying for something I potentially can do.

I'll keep all posted! thanks everyone for the help and feedback!

is $500 for a Fuel Pump installed too much?

thats what they came back with....

Edit........they're installing a OE pump. I checked at the dealer and it cost $400.

i guess it's not a bad price after all.

thanks all for your support!! they car should be ready by 5 :)