Enigne oil

Don Fiveolio

Apr 23, 2005
Houston, TX
Alright you guys,

I just bought a '90 Mustang yesterday and I'm a complete noob. I know this sounds like a stupid question but......... How much oil does the stock 302 take??

[Ducking from slaps to the back the head]

I want to change the oil myself, but I don't know this critical peice of info. Any help would be appreciated.

Steel GT

• Sponsors (?)

Don, welcome to the board. :nice:

5 Spd GT is right on. I will add this: the motor does take 5 quarts. if after the oil change your dipstick reads high, DONT freak. some dipsticks were mismarked from the factory - remark your dipstick so you know where the true FULL mark is.

also dont forget the front drain plug - otherwise 5 quarts will over fill the crankcase.

good luck!

HISSIN50 said:
Don, welcome to the board. :nice:

5 Spd GT is right on. I will add this: the motor does take 5 quarts. if after the oil change your dipstick reads high, DONT freak. some dipsticks were mismarked from the factory - remark your dipstick so you know where the true FULL mark is.

also dont forget the front drain plug - otherwise 5 quarts will over fill the crankcase.

good luck!

Wait......There's more than one drain plug?? :jaw:

I jacked the car up from the front end and pulled the plug. Then I lowered her a little bit and waited until it stopped dripping completely. I figured the tilt would make all of the oil head towards the plug whole and drain the system completely. When I checked the dipstick (before I added oil) there was nothing on it, not one drop. Where's the second plug?? I need to find it before I start the motor so I can drain some out if I overfilled it.

Please advise :D

Steel GT/Don Herberto

exactly what Nick said. the front plug seems to retain (guessing) 1/2 quart or so, it seems. it would not be enough to register on the dipstick (esp since it is in the front sump).

good luck.

Glad to hear it Don. You will find most of the folks in here (Stangnet) to be pretty cool - that is one reason they are stuck with me posting in here. :)

nice work!

HISSIN50 said:
You lost me. :shrug:
I guess maybe people dont want me to post here. :(

Yeah I was lost to...

Anyways...I disagree STRONGLY with what was posted by 89mustanggx...

You da man JT...you have helped me in way to many ways :nice:

(I say this knowing I'm not the only one) :)

Well I was lost because you didn't add a "smilie" at the end...just a little to much "dry" in the dry wit:)

I'm relaxed...like normal.

Just to get semi-back-on-topic...I would change your oil filter if you haven't already...Motorcraft FL-1A.

5spd GT said:
Well I was lost because you didn't add a "smilie" at the end...just a little to much "dry" in the dry wit:)

I'm relaxed...like normal.

Just to get semi-back-on-topic...I would change your oil filter if you haven't already...Motorcraft FL-1A.

Ok, I take full responsibility for lack of smilies. :D

I agree with the FL-1A as well. Don't even bother trying to save a buck with a cheap brand (not that the Ford filters are that expensive), it's simply not worth it. :nice:

89MustangGX said:
Sorry -- it was an attempt at humor, guess it didn't work out so well. :bang:
Thanks Adam. I did not think I had irritated you that badly yet :p , but the humor really was completely over my head (I sat here for a few minutes trying to figure it out to no avail. David was right - a smilie would have helped a simpleton like me. :) ).

Back to our usual quipping back and forth. :cheers: