Erratic Timing?

smkshw

5 Year Member
Feb 12, 2010
i was playing with my timing yesterday and with the spout out at idle i was having a hard time setting it,it was bouncing around a bit?,i have a msd box not sure if this is why?....could i have a issue?,it was steady as an arrow last i checked?

thanks in advance...

• Sponsors (?)

That could be due to the camshaft or lope of the engine. Try raising the rpms when you set the base timing and report back. Is the ignition system in otherwise good shape, cap rotor etc?

That could be due to the camshaft or lope of the engine. Try raising the rpms when you set the base timing and report back. Is the ignition system in otherwise good shape, cap rotor etc?
should have said sorry,2000k 331,everything is new,msd coil,msd dist,oem tfi,its always been steady....runs good but also feels a little slower/not 100% ,maybe in my head but its to the point im booked for a dyno on sat to see if the numbers are the same...i will try raising rpms and see what happens also.

@84Ttop,i raised rpm with spout out and stays the same,with spout in it moves....marks stayed steady though today?when spout is in its erratic,i "was" positive i took it out because i always do?,now im wondering if i left it in maybe??!!

Could be your distributor/bad pickup inside of it causing the erratic timing. If nothing else works try another distributor. I have had new parts go bad like TFI modules also autozone distributors...you never know.

Last edited:
@84Ttop,i raised rpm with spout out and stays the same,with spout in it moves....marks stayed steady though today?when spout is in its erratic,i "was" positive i took it out because i always do?,now im wondering if i left it in maybe??!!
Time for a beer! I wouldn't sweat it too much if I were you. If you checked it and it seems fine then rock and roll. Do you still have the dyno appt? If so I think this will help to put you at ease

smkshw, do me a favour and take a picture of the distributor installed in your engine (from the top, straight down if you can). I want to see if you don't just have your distributor installed a little off?

Had a similar issues I was chasing down with mine and it turned out I was out a tooth on the distributor.

Time for a beer! I wouldn't sweat it too much if I were you. If you checked it and it seems fine then rock and roll. Do you still have the dyno appt? If so I think this will help to put you at ease
still going for dyno sat yes,all seems well at the moment,but just for some knowledge?,if the spout was out,and it did that,what would be the likely cause?,just in case it does creep back again,maybe when hot or somthing?
smkshw, do me a favour and take a picture of the distributor installed in your engine (from the top, straight down if you can). I want to see if you don't just have your distributor installed a little off?

Had a similar issues I was chasing down with mine and it turned out I was out a tooth on the distributor.
ill take a pic a soon as i can....thanks!

still going for dyno sat yes,all seems well at the moment,but just for some knowledge?,if the spout was out,and it did that,what would be the likely cause?,just in case it does creep back again,maybe when hot or somthing?

ill take a pic a soon as i can....thanks!

Also, where is your distributor rotor pointing when you're at 0 BTDC?

pointing at 1,it was anyway.

Right at, or just before or after? What orientation is your TFI module in afterwards?

You distributor ad TFI angle should resemble the one below.

Dist_index_OK2.JPG

What symptoms did this produce?