Excessive Toe-in After Brake/suspension Install

87_LX_5.0

Aug 24, 2010
Uniontown, PA
My 87 coupe is a converted 4 cylinder car. Just upgraded the front suspension with "B"springs, kyb struts, V8 spindles/brakes, SVE CC plates, and new sway bar end links. I didn't change or adjust the tie rod ends other than knock them out of the 4 cyl spindle and install them in the V8 spinde. After bolting everything up and lowering the car have a very noticable toe-in condition. To the point that the car is almost undriveable. I live less than 1 mile from the shop where I will get my alignment but I didn't expect this much of a change in the toe angle. Any one else have this issue? I haven't measured the exact about yet but will do so tonight.

• Sponsors (?)

Obviously the spindles are different. Did you swap to 5 lug, or stay with the stock 4 lug brakes? I am not completely sure, but i was unaware of a difference in the 4 cylinder vs v8 spindles. What year spindles did you take off and put on?

Joe

Spindles are interchangeable as far toe adjustment, should be the same either way. If the rack was moved forward it the car it could do this, new k member or rack bushings? I always eyeball them to get them close if I have to drive it there or just trailer it up to get aligned.

No adjustments or new parts other than what is listed above. Rack and K member are the same. I stayed with 4 lug since funds aren't there for new wheels at the moment. The spindles were off of an 89 5.0 coupe if I'm not mistaken on the year. Not sure what caused it. I have my alignment scheduled for Thursday I guess I'll have to wait a few extra days to enjoy.

Regardless, I'd loosen the tie rod adjusters, and adjust it in the neighborhood of zero to drive it. 3 1/4" toe in is a ton...and you can get it a lot closer than that, even by eye. You'll find you'll need to move the car somewhat after adjustments to let the tires settle. Since the tires can't spin freely while parked, you will adjust it further than it looks. After you do it once, and then move the car, you'll see what I mean.

You may be able to dial it in with the CC, but it sounds like you need a bumpsteer kit to offset the lowered suspension, which causes excessive toe in.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda-7993-bumpsteer-kit.html

Normally I'd agree with this. However, I have no idea what springs were in the car previously. They were the same height side by side off of my car as the B springs I installed but the car now sits approx 3/4 inch higher with the B springs and new poly isolators. I went from from about 25 1/4 ground to fender lip to just a shade under 26".