Fox Exhaust Advice

Hi everyone

I am brand new to the forum, and also just bought a 1992 lx 5.0 convertible...my first fox body and I love it!

Looking for exhaust advice. Car has bbk shorty headers with flowmaster 40/44 series 2.5 or 3" exhaust with h pipe, no cats.

It's a touch loud and the cab has more exhaust smell than I would like, and truth be told my wife likely won't be getting in this thing until I dial it back some.

Anyone have a suggested setup to replace what I have and make it more wife friendly?

Car also likely is running a little rich and needs a tune, which is contributing to the excess exhaust smell, and I will hold off on the tune until I swap the exhaust.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    635 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    713.3 KB · Views: 212
  • Sponsors (?)

Show us the tail pipes. Looks like it droops a little at the chambers. It may help to change the pipes to 2 1/2 inchers past the mufflers and I agree with the comment about the cats. Does it leak anywhere? 3 inchers are kinda big but can be managed, could possibly get away with just changing the mufflers. Flomaster has several choices in there line.
Droopy exhaust needs to be fixed. IMO

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, go all high quality with the exhaust, stainless if your budget allows. When you use quality exhaust parts they go on and off easy and fit correct. You will thank me years from now.

My preference is bassani.

A tune has nothing to do with your exhaust, nor does a stock car with exhaust need it.
Save the tuning for supercharger levels.

Reactions: 1 user
If it has a 3 inch exhaust, get the 2.5 inch exhaust. 3 inch is too big and costs power. I'd recommend looking for Jones maxflow mufflers MF1236. I'm running an offroad X pipe, with a 2.5 inch catback with the jones max flow mufflers. Sounds awesome and it is quieter than a set of flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers. Late model restoration sells them for 39.99 each. They are cheap, but the quality is high. I am very pleased with them. The gas smell from having no cats most likely has to do with the engine needing a tune. It will kinda stink if it has no cats even if it is properly tuned, but you won't notice it inside the car, unless you are running dumps (no tailpipes). Also, get rid of those clamps and get the mufflers welded in when you change them.

If it has a 3 inch exhaust, get the 2.5 inch exhaust. 3 inch is too big and costs power. I'd recommend looking for Jones maxflow mufflers MF1236. I'm running an offroad X pipe, with a 2.5 inch catback with the jones max flow mufflers. Sounds awesome and it is quieter than a set of flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers. Late model restoration sells them for 39.99 each. They are cheap, but the quality is high. I am very pleased with them. The gas smell from having no cats most likely has to do with the engine needing a tune. It will kinda stink if it has no cats even if it is properly tuned, but you won't notice it inside the car, unless you are running dumps (no tailpipes). Also, get rid of those clamps and get the mufflers welded in when you change them.
I don't have cats and mine don't stink. Good advice on the welding, thats probably why it droops. Mine don't drone either, I did do some work on my h pipe, the hole for the crossover pipe was small so I opened it up as big as I could, don't know if I did any good but I feel better.

Cats will eliminate the smell absolutely, two chamber mufflers will eliminate the noise....funny thing is I eliminated all that stuff for more noise and the fuel smell that screams muscle car. I am without a doubt old school so to each his own.

IMG_0121.JPG Thanks everyone for the responses, much appreciated. I will address the droopy exhaust and check for leaks, figure out if what size I currently have, and then figure out next steps. Car has an aftermarket fpr and msd ignition, and I think both need to be dialed in (some hesitation under acceleration), and if it's running rich could be adding to the exhaust smell in the cab.

Few more pics attached. Overall car is pretty nice. Needs rear seat belts so I can get my boys in for a ride, driver door not closing well, and all the windows appear to need new bushings/alignment. So a few winter projects and I should be enjoying it in the spring.

Thanks!

Brian

Attachments

• 49866970953__EC703B79-0845-4155-BFE0-A4D94745F838.JPG
    49866970953__EC703B79-0845-4155-BFE0-A4D94745F838.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 147
Set the fuel pressure to the stock setting (which I do not remember what is) and remove the msd. You didn't say if it's a box or a coil, regardless the stock ignition is plenty good and more reliable.