exhaust and now gas tank issue.

blackstang00

Jan 18, 2004
where do i begin. well sound clips are gonna be about 2 weeks delayed.
well the headers were pretty easy. the only ****** was having to jack the motor up to get the old equal length shorties out. but it was easy.
the x-pipe i got is Pypes. well my exhaust is about an 1"from the ground. well it appears the Pyes products don't fit flowmaster b/c of the length of the pipe coming out of the muffler towards the mid pipe is about 2.5" to long. so beware guys.

o.k. i also have a problem with my gas tank now.(totally my dumb-a$$ fault.) i pulled down on the tab of the fuel tank on the drivers side, so i could have more room to adjust the c/b to make it fit b/c i couldn't figure out why nothing was linning up. it worked,but when i went to put it back in its place,again prying on the stamping tab, it started leaking at the seam. thats why i called pypes. nothing was lining up.i had to force it to line up. and thats why its 1" off the ground. so i will prolly get a new tank from 5.0 resto only b/c any tank i get out of a j-yard is going to be old as hell to begin with. and for the price of a new one its worth it. so i can't run the car to long b/c the gas leak is right next to the pipe. and i don't want to chance it igniting.

so i can't get the exhaust fixed until i put another gas tank in. i will get the tank next week,then slowly drive down the the muffler shop (only 2 blocks away.thank god) and have them cut the 2.5" off the mufflers and flair them out and bolt it up again.

what a ****** this turned out to be. but no big deal. i'll getr done.

so if any of u are planning on buying a pyes x-pipe,do it. they are a great product. but if u have any flowmaster c/b get a diff make mid pipe b/c it wont fit w/o some customizing. thanks for reading. sorry it was so long.
jay.

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm... That's odd that you're having problems with the Flowmaster C/B. Mine worked with these configurations:

1: Stock headers with stock H-pipe
2: Flowtech header with MAC off road H
3: Flowtech headers with stock H-pipe
4: Flowtech headers with BBK catted H

It kinda sounds like the problem is the Pypes off road X and not the Flowmaster C/B. You may have problems with any catback when using the Pypes.

This may or may not be relevant...

If the exhaust hanger bracket deal (that sandwiches between the trans and trans mount) is removed and installed upside down (so the "eyelets" are hanging down), it will cause all kinds of allignment issues, if you are even able to get stuff to bolt up.

I'm just mentioning this since you said your exhaust is about 1" off the ground.

Jeff

Pypes X's don't come equipped with a tranny crossmember hanger of any sort, from what I've seen. Same design as the UPR X's. This was only half of the reason mine was always a major turd to fit into place (the other half being that the cats were welded into place 1" too far back and were hitting the crossmember, and because Pypes Violators muffs are 2" longer than Dynomax Super Turbos).

Only things I can suggest (as far as the exhaust goes) are to just trim off the rearmost part of your flow tubes (pipes between the rear of your X and the front of your muffs) and rig up your own hanger for the X-pipe to the crossmember. Start with cutting off just 1" from the rear of the flow tubes and see if that gains you enough clearance; it may be tempting to just hack off 2" right away, but it's easier to make them shorter than it is to make 'em longer, y'know? And unless you have something supporting the center section of the exhaust, or unless you don't mind going out every week or two and jacking up the exhaust to re-tighten it into position, you WILL have problems with the back of your X-pipe sagging and dragging as time goes on.