exhaust banging

Tr1gger

Jan 10, 2010
So after almost a year of dealing with this exhaust banging, i have yet again put on another set of axlebacks...the magnaflows. Here is my problem though...my mid pipe bangs against my spare tire well when the car heats up...the expand back and rattle away. Ive been dealing with this since day 1, i have bent hangers, and been through 4 sets of axlebacks.

What im looking to do now is just stick something to the well that will quiet down the banging of the pipes on it. I was thinking dynamat, but would that withstand the heat of the pipe? I even thought about using some high temp silicone and making a little cushion for the exhaust to just hit. Im tired of the rattle, and im not changing any more pipes, everything is welded now.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you need to rotate the mid-pipe that is hitting the spare tire well. Just loosen the H-pipe clamp and the axle back clamp on the muffler, then rotate the mid-pipe until it's clear. Then retighten the mid-pipe and then the muffler.

I have rotated the mid pipe everyway I can. And the car has seen plenty of exhaust shops when I got it...nobody could find a problem, but thats because no one understands that the pipes will expand under heat.

all around the pipes there is easily a 3/4" gap, but once the car heats up, the pipes expand back and bang. Im not sure what the mid pipe is, it may have come with the macs...it was on the car when i bought it, but the fitment sucks. No matter which way I turn them, they will hit. This is why i just want an easy way out...im tired of messing with it.