Exhaust fumes in cab of car

jase

May 13, 2011
I have a 2000 V6 3.8L. The check engine light is on throwing a code for emissions. I know that the exhuast has a leak in it, and have all the parts to have it fixed, but my question is: Could an exhaust cause exhaust fumes to enter the cab through the A/C ducts? Are there any filters that I don't know about or valves that prevent this from happening?

• Sponsors (?)

Fumes In Cab

I had the exact same problem and fixed it. yes the fumes are from ur cracked header. it's not easy to change it. the pipes for the secondary air injection are hard to find and easy to break, so be very careful when removing them. use wd-40 and heat.(i used a heat gun and that worked fine) I can say it is nice when those fumes are gone. The crack always happens because there is condensation that drips right on the header. Good Luck!!!

Yeah, leaking header or exhaust pipe above the converters near the flange. I am not sure of any way to fix it except maybe a weld because anything else wouldn't hold long enough due to it being so hot. As far as removing the EGR tube from the header, I honestly don't see a heat gun working to loosen that. That pipe gets a lot hotter when the engine has run and then it oxidizes a lot over times and then there's a LOT of rust on it that makes it STUCK to the pipe threads. I'd say a blowtorch but be very careful not to burn anything down there (keep AWAY from firewall and KEEP AWAY from fuel lines). Get the fitting very hot then try to turn with wrench or vice grip pliers if you can manage to get room to fit them on.

I have the same problem .. and mine is a 2 inch hairline crack in the Y-pipe right at the header flange on the passenger side. Though I mostly smell my exhaust after it's been sitting idling for a little while then the interior starts smelling. gag man.. too much of a pain in the a$$ to try an fix for me.

My 99 V6 has the same passenger side exhaust leak. Started while the car was still under warranty, and now it is bad enough that I need to get it fixed (loud ticking sound even when manifold heated up, and on freeway). I do notice more exhaust smell in the cabin if I have the heater/vent on (setting other than max a/c set to COLD) so I think it's possible somehow fumes are getting in, but not totally sure. I am getting both headers replaced in a few days with JBA shorties which are CARB legal for California.