exhaust leak....header gasket ?'s

Roland69

Sergeant Tangnet
Sep 17, 2005
Port Elgin, Ontario
Thought maby I would get a few more replys in tech

OK so here is the scoop...Friday we had the day off so I thought I would use the shop to put my new BBK headers on....all went well and everything seal's up nice and no leaks. Drove it around a little over the weekend not far or for very long.

So tonight I went for the first good drive with them and got everything nice and hot...Came home for a few (maby 10 minutes) and left it running outside and when I came outside I heard a tick tick tick....I think it's the headers. Sounds like an exhaust leak on the passenger side header. I will check tomorow if any of the bolts came loose on me. If it was the gaskets what should I buy. NAPA ones or should I order some mr gasket copper ones....any opinions is greatly helpfull as this is the first set of headers I have done on my mustang.

Oh right now I am using the BBK-1515 headers and the blots and gaskets they send with them.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't forget that when you install new gaskets, you should torque them down then let the engine get to normal op temp by driving it around for a few minutes. Let the motor cool down, then re-torque the bolts.

yea I haven't re-torqued them.....do you guys torque them with a torque wrench ot just snug them up about all the same with a wrench.

I am almost sure it will be just some loose bolts but I have been told the gaskets that BBK sends with thier headers suck and I shouldn't use them.

this morning when the engine was cold it had no leak.....got home from work and still no leak....ate supper and let the engine cool down and went out to the shop pulled the plug wires and intake tube. Started tightening and they had came a little loose. I will try it again for a while (have a 3/8 wrench in my car lol) and if this comes back again I will get some 1/4 inch longer header bolts and locking header washers.....and some good gaskets if you guys would reccomend a good gasket that would be great

from what i have heard the bbk gaskets they send with their headers are junk

i just use a mr gasket set, they carry them at my local oreilys

i jus tighten them down, run the car to temp and when you stop driving, while the car is hot and the metal is all expanded, tighten the bolts down more, they should tighten down some more, once the metal cools and returns to shape it then be comes a TIGHT seal...

i also check them periodically during the first week or so with new gaskets. and check them every so often, recently i had a bolt loosen up and fall out and the gasket blew there where the bolt was gone.

Are you using 3/4" header bolts are 1"?

Mine took a few times to keep them in and tight, but then they all of a sudden just quit trying to back out...

I have Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts, but without the 'locks':) Kind of pointless, huh?

If the bolts came loose the gaskets might have blown out already. I wouldn't put those gaskets through too many heat cycles unless you want to be milling them off. Again, just go to Auto Zone and get the aluminum gaskets. They're reusable, they seal better than copper, they're cheaper than copper, and they're right in town. I don't remember what the brand was that we used, but they are the only ones like them there, so they should be easy to spot. They work awesome, trust :D

Ok I will be getting some of the ultra seal ones probly from NAPA. They are the ones with aluminum on both sides of paper gaskets....like the ones BBK send only with aluminum on eash side.. I am using the bolts they came with I think they are 3/4"..

Autozone carrys felpro stuff around my area. Thats what I used for my top end rebuild and havent seen any problems yet. This thread reminded me to go re-tourqe those bolts.

I like either Felpro or Mr Gasket, and i like to use Grade 8 allen head bolts instead of the socket style because they're a lot harder to strip. With my MAC full lengths i've resorted to using 2 gaskets on the passenger side, with RTV between them and this holds up really well (anyone with mac headers knows that with individual flanges, they warp....double gaskets will help with sealing them up). I also threw on some typical lock washers this time around and that seems to really help to keep the bolts snug.

If all else fails and you're really sick of it, order some Stage 8 locking bolts and be done with it. They're a little pricey but so is time right? Do it once and be done. Also as for copper gaskets...i've tried 2 sets and both leaked like crazy, so i went back to the typical paper kind or whatever they're made of.

I've had really good luck with ARP header bolts...they haven't backed out on me yet.

Got a part number for those that you used?

Also, does anyone know if 1" header bolts will thread all the way in without bottoming out?

I imagine that depends on the flange size (3/8" typically I believe) and gasket thickness...

Got a part number for those that you used?

Also, does anyone know if 1" header bolts will thread all the way in without bottoming out?

I imagine that depends on the flange size (3/8" typically I believe) and gasket thickness...

I dunno man....i bought 3/4 to use with double gaskets and lock washers and 1/4 inch flanges...i think 1 inch might bottom out.

You could always buy one from a hardware store and see how far it threads in.