Exhaust Manifold To Downpipe Leak

moneypitroush

Jul 11, 2017
Hey y'all,

I was putting everything back together on my Roush and when started the car up noticed there was an exhaust leak between the driver side exhaust manifold and downpipe. There is no gasket on the driver side and there is a donut instead. I've tightened the buts down as much as possible so don't know why there's still a leak. Any takes?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Is the pipe properly aligned on the manifold? What kind of mid pipe? If its a modular design mid pipe weigh several pieces, maybe something needs adjusting. Perhaps loosen up the other side and the rear bolts and tighten that connection first then snug up the rest.

I was thinking the same. It's all stock though I have my exhaust coming out the side. But I've loosened up the rear and the driver side so I'll just need to make sure everything will be aligned. Thanks

So I aligned everything the way it should be with my brothers help but it still smokes out between the manifold and the mid pipe (it looks like it's smoking from there and I'm pretty sure it is). It starts smoking after warming up a bit. The more it warms up the more it smokes

Is there the distinct sound of an exhaust leak? Smoke might indicate that you got an oil leak falling onto the exhaust pipe or manifold. Might be a different problem if it isn't ticking loud like an exhaust leak.

Exhaust sounded fine no ticks like in a typical exhaust leak. I didn't notice any oil leaks and would think that there would be some smell that would smell like burning oil. I watched a YouTube video and the guy used a copper etc sealant so that's what I put all around the area where the mid pipe hooks up with exhaust manifold and it seems like that's working now :)