• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Exhaust problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter jdwyer25
  • Start date Start date Dec 11, 2003

jdwyer25

Member
Dec 11, 2003
116
2
18
Cameron, NC
Dec 11, 2003
#1
  • Dec 11, 2003
  • #1
Here's the problem. I put the Magnaflow cat back exhaust on my car and now when I hit a bump I can hear what sounds like the exhaust hitting something. I've had it on the lift serveral times to look for the problem, but everything has good clearance and should not be hitting anything at all. Anyone got any ideas?
 

Beau

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2000
3,050
0
0
San Diego
Dec 11, 2003
#2
  • Dec 11, 2003
  • #2
i had a similar thing happen to me after i got my car lowered..it might be your catalytic converters hitting or something if its coming from the front, if its coming from the rear then maybe the pipes are hanging too low..
 

jdwyer25

Member
Dec 11, 2003
116
2
18
Cameron, NC
Dec 11, 2003
#3
  • Dec 11, 2003
  • #3
1990StangLX said:
i had a similar thing happen to me after i got my car lowered..it might be your catalytic converters hitting or something if its coming from the front, if its coming from the rear then maybe the pipes are hanging too low..
Click to expand...

It's coming from the rear of the car and I'm thinking that since changing from 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" pipe the clearance was a little tight getting them but like I said everything when on the lift looks good. Plenty of clearance and all.
 
C

CottonBurnerz

Banned
May 10, 2003
1,554
0
0
Drink and Drive = Teh Lose
Dec 11, 2003
#4
  • Dec 11, 2003
  • #4
Same thing happened to me after I installed my magnapack. I found out that the pipe was ON the frame of the car.. I fixed it with no problems at all.. the clearance was very tight (about 1") but no more sound
 

DirtyD916

Active Member
May 25, 2003
804
1
38
Norcal 916
Dec 11, 2003
#5
  • Dec 11, 2003
  • #5
i would think that the back of the tailpipes ( where to connect to themifflers) is whats scraping. If not then maybe the muffler itself is.
 

cybore

New Member
Apr 29, 2003
160
0
0
San Jose, CA
Dec 12, 2003
#6
  • Dec 12, 2003
  • #6
Two possibilities, at least when I put mine on.

One was the section of pipe between the mid pipe and the muffler, passenger side I think was too close to the floor bottom. I loosened it up and twisted the pipe a little more away.

Second, the back part of the U part of the pipe was hitting the rear sway bar going over bumps. I had slid the pipes into the mufflers as far as I could when I installed it, so I loosened up the clamps, slid the pipes out a bit front and back, took care of that problem.
 

neoclasiccl

Founding Member
Jun 1, 2002
3,043
0
57
Help I can't see !!!!!!
Dec 12, 2003
#7
  • Dec 12, 2003
  • #7
I had this problem on my old GT with the Steeda cat back. It turned out to bet the tailpipes hitting the top of the rear axle. I would look under your car and check your suspension travel and look for some marks on the pipes.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Exhaust Exhaust resonance
  • keel
  • Jul 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
324
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 11, 2026
keel
New Exhaust for 408w stroker
  • SadbutTrue
  • Sep 10, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
103
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 10, 2026
nickyb
S
Drivetrain Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd issue
  • Scott_S
  • Apr 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
959
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 14, 2026
Mindseye007
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
522
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sunday at 4:40 PM
manicmechanic007
S
New guy- first Stang- I love it !!
  • smid333
  • Mar 22, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
5
Views
247
The Welcome Wagon Mar 23, 2026
smid333
S
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?