Fox Exhaust setup opinion?

Ok, let me say first, thanks for the like. Second, yes I'm the guy in the neighborhood that yells at the kids to 'get off my lawn', of course they don't pay any attention to me. I expect you likely will not either, but that's ok, you're young and you likely have many years of hearing bliss, a loud exhaust is just that, loud, it serves no purpose but to annoy other people and kill your hearing, you will not be able to carry on a conversation with anyone in the car and after riding in it for more than half an hour will probably give you a headache.
I do have to say though, it was the best time of my life, stick some loud mouths or widow makers on that thing and have a blast!
Remember this when your older and your ears ring or sound like a constantly leaking air line.
And learn how to blip the throttle a couple times between gears Steve McQueen style!

Ok you convinced me not to go to a louder setup. Maybe I'll do some cut outs down the line. I imagined it as a good idea but you're right it would get annoying after 30 mins.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

No cats and cutouts is absurdly loud.
Not in a good way. It's loud for the sake of loud, kinda like if you had an old v8 farm truck and the muffler fell off and you never fixed it.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok you convinced me not to go to a louder setup. Maybe I'll do some cut outs down the line. I imagined it as a good idea but you're right it would get annoying after 30 mins.
now I do like the cutout idea!
You can blast that car next to you that has one of them stereos that hits so hard it rattles the trunk braces

Or a vacuum cutout. Closed when you start the car under vacuum but wide open at ummm wide open....may have slight exhaust leak sound tho. Not perfect but a compromise

38053529-3881-4592-9000-EB2318512189.jpeg

The pro chamber is supposed to be quieter than an off road h. To the OP, I currently have shorties, off road H, and dumped 40 series. It's retarded. I'll get a sound clip after work today. One of my new Super Turbos was delivered yesterday and the other one will be here on Saturday, I can't wait. Guess one fell off the truck? @Steel1 , everyone who has run those Jone's Max Flows have nothing but positive things to say and the price can't be beat. They are copy of the Dynomax Ultra Flo. I went Super Turbo because they are quieter than the Ultras and only $4 more a piece than the Jone's mufflers. FWIW the Super Turbos are supposed to flow more than a 40 series.

The pro chamber is supposed to be quieter than an off road h. To the OP, I currently have shorties, off road H, and dumped 40 series. It's retarded. I'll get a sound clip after work today. One of my new Super Turbos was delivered yesterday and the other one will be here on Saturday, I can't wait. Guess one fell off the truck? @Steel1 , everyone who has run those Jone's Max Flows have nothing but positive things to say and the price can't be beat. They are copy of the Dynomax Ultra Flo. I went Super Turbo because they are quieter than the Ultras and only $4 more a piece than the Jone's mufflers. FWIW the Super Turbos are supposed to flow more than a 40 series.
Yeah that's what I've heard....I'll post a opinion after I get around to installing them.

Ha,...found a fitting review on flowmaster 40's on Summits website:
Noisier ana........
Put these here mufflers on my 69 nova. At first I thought they were ok but then things just kept gettin louder. After a while, the wife started bringin a note book in the car so she could write down the stuff she was trying to say to me. Stuff n my car started fallin off I'm guessing from vibrations from the sound too. Then to make matters worse, I'm 40% deaf in my right ear now...Ran over a cat but I dint hear nothin...so I just kept on a backin...cats dead. Cops pull me over, neighbors complain, I set off alarms all up n down the street ,...had to buy hear ing aid, They shouldn't call these things mufflers, they don't muffl nothin

Reactions: 4 users
Just recently installed a whole new exhaust setup on my 93 5.0 notch. I got the mac pro chamber mid pipes with flow master 44s for the mufflers. I love the sound but I kind of want louder. So heres my questions.

1. Is having mufflers and the prochamber kind of overkill, do I need mufflers?

2. Are the loudmouth mufflers good?
I had flows for years,there o.k. I got a deal on loudmouth catback,best sounding Fox I have ever heard.I must mention I have longtubes,catted h pipe.The loudmouth are great at idle and while curzing hyway ,when I open it up it roars

Twenty-one years on my flowmaster force II and still solid as a rock. Stainless tips still look nice. I've run without pollution control for decades as it's not required to be replaced on vehicles made before 1991 where I live, so I've had two sets of long tubes and off road h pipes on the car. Went cheap at first and got into starter trouble with under hood heat. Went BBk ceramic coated this time with a mini starter. Works with my stock hood for temps. I love the sound and I'm in my 50's. I can't wait for the first clutch drop this season or that long pull through second where she spins the whole gear. It wouldn't be the same without the exhaust noise. I didn't find the car too loud with the stock heads. When i put the worked 1965 289 heads on it they really made the sound. I think maybe the small chambers is the reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Gonna resurrect this thread to try to get an answer to my question: 92 LX 5.0 'vert. Stock cats/H-pipe, just put on new 2 1/4inch intermediate pipes, Dynomax 17732 mufflers, and tailpipes on it to replace the factory (27 year old!!) stuff that finally gave out. It's too quiet! Not looking for window-rattling loud, just a good sounding, low-tone-without-the-drone. It actually sounded great before, but the mufflers couldn't be saved any longer.
Qualifications: I hate the look of the Flowmasters. They look like a 7th grader scabbed them together in shop class. Have to fit the 2 1/4 pipes, body of the mufflers about 14-15 inches long so no cobbling of pipes to put the tips in the right spot- This car is bone stock clean and I want to keep it that way. Lastly, no eye-crossing drone while cruising.
TIA for the help. I know this is out there, I just don't want to be doing the trial and error guessing.

I'm not sure why you "hate the look of the Flowmasters". The three chambers make a great sound and are available through Amazon at about $95 each.

Flowmaster or Dynomax are the two most popular choices. My Flowmasters sound great and have zero highway drone.
Screenshot_20191025-205113_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
Imo if you don't want drone than you need to look at a muffler with a straight through design, no baffling.
The flip side of that is usually they are louder outside the car.
I think most of us who've been into cars for a while have gone through a few sets of mufflers, no magic pill
opinions can get you in the ballpark but it's going to come down to preference. Heck, I'm still trying to find a
muffler that checks all the boxes for me.

I'm not sure why you "hate the look of the Flowmasters". The three chambers make a great sound and are available through Amazon at about $95 each.

Flowmaster or Dynomax are the two most popular choices. My Flowmasters sound great and have zero highway drone. View attachment 637437
Ugly welds all over, and poor finish. Like I said, they look like some kid scabbed them together. If it looks like I could build them out of scrap under my maple tree in the back yard, they aren't going on my car. No doubt they work, I've had them on other cars, but in this day and age we should expect more.

Flowmaster or Dynomax are the two most popular choices. My Flowmasters sound great and have zero highway drone. View attachment 637437

The three chambers don't drone much. Most people think of the 2 chambers when they think of FlowMasters. On the flip side of that, the 3 chambers flow about as bad as the factory muffers. The muffler you have listed from Amazon is also not the correct configuration for a Mustang. The inlet and outlet are corner to corner on a Mustang. Flowmasters have a pretty bad reputation for rusting out pretty quickly. It's money poorly spent. My Dynomax mufflers are 20 years old, and look like new. I paid $140/each for them.

Kurt