Explorer Transmission Cooler in a '66

In my 5.0 Explorer/4R70W swapping for this car, I wanted to keep the automatic transmission cooler. So this is a factory Explorer/Ranger cooler 96-01 ish. It fits barely under the stone guard, but will require the lower valence to be notched for the hoses. Probably not for everyone, but here is a photo in case anybody says "what would that look like?".

Attachments

• IMG_0919s.jpg
    IMG_0919s.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • Sponsors (?)

You could turn it sideways but the nipples are built into it so you can't change any fittings. The brackets that are built into the cooler were the perfect step distance for where I put it. If you did that you would have to do more fab.

Car needs alignment so have not driven far or fast so I can't answer peppy, but it's really just an electronic AOD so I think it will be OK.

Well, theoretically you could buy 90 degree(or 45, whatever) double sided hose barbs like this:

_elbow_splicer_1770606ss_color_pr_watermarked_360x.jpg

Doing so of course would double the amount of potential leak points, but it would tuck the hoses up tighter. A better solution is to get hoses that have a 90 degree bend molded into them...finding those might be a bit tricky in the right length though.

Here are a few more photos with the valence on. I put a weak spring around one line so it could not kink up. I don't think it would, but just in case. I'm going to add a clamp to snug the lines up a little more.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    357.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    468.6 KB · Views: 46