failed emissions -- please help :-)

gary_g

Founding Member
Aug 1, 2002
AZ
Hello, I just moved to Virginia which has tailpipe emissions testing (as opposed to MD where they just looked for OBD fault codes). Anyhow, I just failed emissions, and I *really* need to get my car passed ASAP so I can register it in Virginia.

Here are the emissions test results:

15 MPH: (limit/reading/result)
---------------------------------
HC ppm: 74/129/FAIL
CO %: 0.41/0.00/PASS
NO ppm: 586/582/PASS <-- that was close :-D

25 MPH: (limit/reading/result)
----------------------------------
HC ppm: 72/150/FAIL
CO %: 0.40/0.00/PASS
NO ppm: 531/648/FAIL

So there are the results.. Mod's are in my sig, any ideas on what to do? I have a 3-way diablo chip with it set on the stock tune, so the timing shouldn't be an issue. I've heard about adding rubbing alcohol to the gas, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea?

Thanks -

-g

• Sponsors (?)

the NOx is due to a bad EGR valve. have the EGR valve tested with a vacuum gauge. whate have you done tune-up wise lately. i work for a smog ref in CA and we do a similar test on some cars. also take off the offroad pipe and that will fix the HC problem. this is a classic example as to why they dont allow Long Tubes or any midpipe but stock in CA.

EDIT: just saw about the MAC pipe. i would still say put on a stock one. a lot of the aftermarket midpipes with cats are crap and still pollute way over stock. thats why they arent allowed in CA.

take off the LTs and run shorties. thats what we make people do at my work. they are not happy, but at least people in CA shouldnt be stupid enough to put on illegal parts and try to sneak it by the ref. anyway, its showing you are running rich. not as rich as a dead hole, what is your fuel pressure like? check the passageway for the EGR. cats dont do much for NOx, its mostly EGR.

bdcardinal said:
take off the LTs and run shorties. thats what we make people do at my work. they are not happy, but at least people in CA shouldnt be stupid enough to put on illegal parts and try to sneak it by the ref. anyway, its showing you are running rich. not as rich as a dead hole, what is your fuel pressure like? check the passageway for the EGR. cats dont do much for NOx, its mostly EGR.

I'd sooner spoon out my own eyes than go through the trouble of getting the LT's on and off again. :-D What about the gasolive addatives to help you pass... are they worth checking out? A local speed shop recommended that or also trying some dry gas.. What do you think?

no dont disconnect PCV. if a car came in like that to my work they would fail so fast their head wouldnt have time to spin. that will creat a massive vacuum leak. i would relaly suggest doing a full tuneup. i am in an akward situation because we have the power at my work to force people to come back to us speciaicially and no other smog certificate will be accepted except one from us.

If all else fails besides taking off your LT's, try taking your original cats, if you still have them, and put them on your car, but with the LT's still on. This will mean doing a little fabrication. Basically you will be making your mid-pipe. I am sure you can get this done from a good muffler shop, or any fabricator. It might cost a little money, but it is better than nothing and better than taking off your LTs. Just an idea.