fan doesn't turn on at right temp anymore

walker95svt

May 21, 2005
Abilene, TX
My fan only turns on now as the temperature is approaching the "A" in "NORMAL". I have an awesome becool radiator, and the temp is on the "N" on the highway. I just doesn't get cool when stopped or below 40 miles per hour. It's been burped, there's no air in the system, the hoses aren't flattening out, someone please help!!! As soon as I put the new motor in, the fan started doing this. On a side note, when I started the motor right after putting the new radiator in, the fan was coming on at a reasonable temp for about 2 minutes, then went back to not strating up until it was way to hot. Anybody know what could cause this? I have to turn my car off at stoplights and it's rediculous. What is it about installing a new motor that could cause this to happen?

• Sponsors (?)

First thing I would try is changing the ECT sensor.

Also, if you're car is overheating a simple "fix" is to turn the defrost on. This will turn the fan on high speed until you turn the defrost back off. Not a permanent solution, but it helps if your in traffic for a while. :nice:

Start with the coolant temp sensor (not the temp sender) on the intake manifold, passenger side. If it goes bad the PCM is not seeing the right temp, hence the fan won't turn on. It's cheap and easy to replace.

All good advice. One can check for fan signals at the CCRM. Pin 17 should show ground (using your meter) at ~230*F, and Pin 14 should show 12 volts at 208*F or when the A/C is on.

Is the fan connector ok (it did not burn, which was a problem with SN fans)? Is the fan relay, etc all up to par?

Good luck.

Oh yeah, if not mentioned, manual fan switches are nice. And while doing self diagnostics (pulling codes), part of that should cycle the fans to see if they are working.

Good luck.

zenboy99 said:
Where would it burn? right next to the fan blade? My fan motor isn't working any more and I'm trying to diagnose it.
Seems like right at the fan connector (where the wire plugs into the fan motor). the plastic gets all cracked around the connector or the wire burns.

Good luck.