Favorite Car Of Your Teens/early Years...

• Sponsors (?)

I was on a double date with my "girlfriend" at age 15, her best friend, and that friend's boyfriend who was 18. He arrived in a '92 notch with a 5.0 and an auto. He took me for a spin before we left with the girls in one of their econo boxes, and I thought that car was the absolute coolest car made. Fast forward to age 18, and I had to have one. My luck was great when my four door Dodge Neon was hit head on and totalled by a guy's 35" mud tire and new wheel that he didnt retorque 50 miles after installing. An '89 GT with a prior salvaged title showed up in town on a trailer, just passing through. The owner stopped at our Mcdonalds for a bite. I was looking at the car when he came out, he unloaded, I hit 70 mph behind our Super Kmart, and $3500 later of Neon insurance money I had my fox body GT. Ive owned several cars since, but none give me the same feel nor smile, which is why I am back with that car's look alike. I will always think back to age 15, and that ride with that older guy that I was oh so jealous of.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post... Some interesting cars/stories, keep them coming...

Nic,
Friend of mine had a very nice stock 240 in high school. Loved that thing. Just after I got my license, my Dad was hot for a Monte SS, test drove a couple... guess he thought better of it with the "boy" still living in he house.

I'm a sucker for 240 volvos
When my '78 Pontiac Wagon was (beyond) long in the tooth, I searched for a 240 wagon, was looking for a 4spd with the electric overdrive. Could not find one within my budget.

I got my '86 when I was 17, more than 15 years ago... So yea, Foxes for sure. But the two other kinds of cars that I was interested in buying at the time:

datsun-240z-owner-left-no-bolt-unsnapped-1476934690444-1000x667.jpg

DSCN1871.jpg

Honorable mentions, although I never test drove any of these:

115bba7a5d3b0309c2a8e1839d33a973.jpg

58e6af692f03f_NIS_Front-Left-3-4-940x549.jpg

To this day I still want one of these SOOO bad:

merkur-xr4ti-brochure.jpg
Man I thought we were the same age for some reason. I guess I'm a couple of years your junior.

I was gunning for a late 60s era muscle car, but just didnt have the money. So, I ended up with this and I'm glad I did. I loved that car but lost it due to my own foolishness. Tried to find it again last year, but traced it to South Carolina and lost the trail.
206680_592257449244_8891_n.jpg
206733_592257389364_6195_n.jpg

My dad has had this since '85. He's retiring at the end of the year and I'm prodding him to keep it in my garage since they're moving to the coast. He hasn't bit on the idea quite yet.
1909682_592257474194_8137_n.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I was gunning for a late 60s era muscle car, but just didnt have the money. So, I ended up with this and I'm glad I did. I loved that car but lost it due to my own foolishness. Tried to find it again last year, but traced it to South Carolina and lost the trail.
206680_592257449244_8891_n.jpg
206733_592257389364_6195_n.jpg

My dad has had this since '85. He's retiring at the end of the year and I'm prodding him to keep it in my garage since they're moving to the coast. He hasn't bit on the idea quite yet.
1909682_592257474194_8137_n.jpg

Dude, that is awesome that you have those pictures. I am trying to get my mom to dig out my senior pic that I had taken with my car. Its the only one I ever had taken. :nonono:

When my '78 Pontiac Wagon was (beyond) long in the tooth, I searched for a 240 wagon, was looking for a 4spd with the electric overdrive. Could not find one within my budget.

My first car was a baby blue 4 door DL with 4 speed and electronic overdrive. It was a family car first and I have fond memories of my old man driving me to hockey and punching the shifter when the push button wouldn't work. Usually 2-3 punches would get it to work.

Dude, that is awesome that you have those pictures. I am trying to get my mom to dig out my senior pic that I had taken with my car. Its the only one I ever had taken. :nonono:
Thanks, yeah this was around 2004. Could have been a lot cooler story had i known forums existed and could have saved me a lot of foolishness. I wasted a ton of money buying that longblock in the pictures. It was a P headed long block with a B cam. Hindsight is a mofo.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post... Some interesting cars/stories, keep them coming...

Nic,
Friend of mine had a very nice stock 240 in high school. Loved that thing. Just after I got my license, my Dad was hot for a Monte SS, test drove a couple... guess he thought better of it with the "boy" still living in he house.

I too think a 240 is a cool car. Every now and then, I'll see a nice one, lowered slightly on nice wheels and tires...to me that's all that car needs.

Nic,

Some of those really cool cars that fetch a lot of money nowadays were super cheap back then. I remember back then you could find clean early Z cars for less than 5 grand. Heck even some lesser known muscle cars were still cheap.

Man I thought we were the same age for some reason. I guess I'm a couple of years your junior.

I'm 32, so my 15 year anniversary with the car was really just a few months ago. I think we picked it up in July or August.

Some of those really cool cars that fetch a lot of money nowadays were super cheap back then. I remember back then you could find clean early Z cars for less than 5 grand. Heck even some lesser known muscle cars were still cheap.

I'm 32, so my 15 year anniversary with the car was really just a few months ago. I think we picked it up in July or August.
Ah ok. Im 30.

I'm a sucker for 240 volvos

I owned three Volvo's when I was a teenager. I had a '75 242, rolled that car over and drive it home when I was 15. A '78 264 with that horrible 2.8L V6, it ended up in the junkyard, and a '79 244 that I rebuilt the engine and drove for a few years in high school and shortly after graduation. Sold that car to a friends dad, who promptly set it on fire because he used ether to start it and backfired through the intake. Those cars are absolute tanks.

Now, I own one of my dream cars. It's my 1993 GT I purchased back in May. My other dream car is a 1967 Eleanor clone from Gone In 60 Seconds with Nick Cage.

Fox body's and 79 Trans Am's 400/4spd.

Friend in HS (89’) bought a 79’ Trans Am (special edition ;ws-6 suspensions) with rare 3.23 gears (403/auto). I fell in love with that ride.
2 years later another friend purchase a 91’ GT 5 speed and takes me for a ride. Seemed like it was a rocket!
Purchased my 90’ 5.0 19 yrs ago and purchased my 79’ SE Trans Am two years ago.

Attachments

• B4668911-739A-44EF-B504-EAF382110D0C.jpeg
    B4668911-739A-44EF-B504-EAF382110D0C.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 65C2A7D3-4DD4-4D94-B725-243FB63F45AA.jpeg
    65C2A7D3-4DD4-4D94-B725-243FB63F45AA.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 133
1975 Chevrolet C10 longbed.

No heat, no A/C, every damned thing in the cab rattled, and it was in a constant state of disrepair. It was my first car and I kept it ten years. Went from a 350 with a 2bbl carb and a worn out TH350 and 4.56 12-bolt to a fresh 400 with a Weiand Stealth intake, 750cfm Edelbrock carb, Accel HEI distributor, Flowtech longtubes with Warlock mufflers, a built TH350, and being one of the quickest and ugliest trucks on the street around here.

I miss the damned thing, but the cab was rusted so bad it would lean forward when you'd slam on the brakes. I only kept it so long because it'd been my grandpa's truck for 15 years before it was mine, but the day I realized restoring it would basically mean having the original frame and little else from "his" truck, I parted it out.

All cool stories!
Just thinking back to what I paid for some of my early cars and what they would be worth now makes me sick.
Bought my 72 Chevelle in 1988 for $3,000.
Proceeded to build it, new paint/body work, rebuilt and modified 350cid, TH350 with shift kit, 12bolt w/3:73s, interior like new, exhaust...etc.
Sold it to in 1992 for $5,500 .....to buy a crotch rocket !!!....young and stupid !!!