Atlanta, GA
Nothing special. I got bored and wanted to paint my rear end:

Part way into getting the rust off with a wire wheel:
IMG_2870.jpg

Wet with Simple Green
IMG_2877.jpg

Finished product
IMG_2878.jpg

I used High Heat Rustoleum Enamel if anyone is interested. I bought the black in a can and brushed it on. The silver I got in a rattle can and just sprayed it.. I found that a foam brush applicator works best over a regular paint brush

The next step will be to get into the wheel wells and clean up all of that good stuff. I am thinking of painting my calipers white or just respray them silver..i will probably go with silver

I am also going to do something about that plastic fuel tank cover...its looking pretty beat

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, that looks great :nice:

I'd recommend getting some kind of plastic dressing for the gas tank cover. I've used both Stoners Trim Shine and also a product called Black Wow with great results (I prefer the Black Wow because it lasts longer).

Wow, that looks great :nice:

I'd recommend getting some kind of plastic dressing for the gas tank cover. I've used both Stoners Trim Shine and also a product called Black Wow with great results (I prefer the Black Wow because it lasts longer).

thanks! ill check those out :nice: i think what i am going to do first is spray it with 3m rubber coating or something first

I wouldn't recommend that at all. The rubbermaid stuff looks really grey. Seriously try the Trim Shine and the Black Wow first, and if you don't like it try something else.

The other problem with the rubbermaid stuff is it has a very textured surface area and is somewhat tacky. I would think it would trap dust/dirt and look like crap very quickly. Honestly, you'd probably only have to reapply the Trim Shine 1 time/month of if you were using the Black Wow once every 3 months. See what you think of that before spraying the rubbermaid since it will be a PITA to remove.

I wouldn't recommend that at all. The rubbermaid stuff looks really grey. Seriously try the Trim Shine and the Black Wow first, and if you don't like it try something else.

The other problem with the rubbermaid stuff is it has a very textured surface area and is somewhat tacky. I would think it would trap dust/dirt and look like crap very quickly. Honestly, you'd probably only have to reapply the Trim Shine 1 time/month of if you were using the Black Wow once every 3 months. See what you think of that before spraying the rubbermaid since it will be a PITA to remove.

that trim shine stuff is just a dressing right? i need to coat it with something first. its got a lot of scuffs on it. i have the rubber coating already in my wheels and it doesnt look all that gray but i agree it is a bit tacky . what do you think i should use instead? i still want to use that trim stuff but it needs to be cleaned up first somehow.

that trim shine stuff is just a dressing right? i need to coat it with something first. its got a lot of scuffs on it. i have the rubber coating already in my wheels and it doesnt look all that gray but i agree it is a bit tacky . what do you think i should use instead? i still want to use that trim stuff but it needs to be cleaned up first somehow.

Here's the thing, you'll never see the bottom of the gas tank cover in front of those little slits, and I assume that's where most of the scuffs are. I would just try cleaning it up really good with an APC, then apply the dressing, and see what you think. If the scuffs are noticeably that bad, then you can consider other alternatives. Unfortunately I don't really think there is anything that could be done about the cover. I suppose if you really wanted to remove it you could sand it all to a uniform texture and have it painted satin black, but that seems like way too much work/money to be worth it IMO. Your other option would be to pick up another cover in good condition from a junkyard or a new one from LMR.

Here's the thing, you'll never see the bottom of the gas tank cover in front of those little slits, and I assume that's where most of the scuffs are. I would just try cleaning it up really good with an APC, then apply the dressing, and see what you think. If the scuffs are noticeably that bad, then you can consider other alternatives. Unfortunately I don't really think there is anything that could be done about the cover. I suppose if you really wanted to remove it you could sand it all to a uniform texture and have it painted satin black, but that seems like way too much work/money to be worth it IMO. Your other option would be to pick up another cover in good condition from a junkyard or a new one from LMR.

thanks for the advice! ill report back on what results

Sweet man, let's see some pics when you are done, too.

You definitely made me think about doing something similar to my car. In fact, I think the gas tank straps would look really good if they were repainted gloss or satin black... hmmm...

Since you're cleaning up down there, may as well get rid of that f'n useless dog bone, and replace the rusted d/s with an FRPP aluminum one. I polished my aluminum d/s and it looks absolutely stunning. It only took me about an hour too!!

Might be time for some new shocks and LCA's too... sorry not trying to pick but certainly would aid in handling AND looks under there, lol.

my gas tank cover looked just like yours a while back... threw some simple green on it then threw some left over amor all on it for chits and giggles and honestly it looks brand new and it cleaned up the look of the rear a ton... ill grab a pic later if it quits raining... give it a shot, it'll look a thousand times better

everything looks great man! i repainted my rear when i replaced the axles and it looks sooo much better :nice:

Since you're cleaning up down there, may as well get rid of that f'n useless dog bone, and replace the rusted d/s with an FRPP aluminum one. I polished my aluminum d/s and it looks absolutely stunning. It only took me about an hour too!!

Might be time for some new shocks and LCA's too... sorry not trying to pick but certainly would aid in handling AND looks under there, lol.

no worries! all valid points and theyre definitely things that need to get done. i just need a job first :rlaugh:

my gas tank cover looked just like yours a while back... threw some simple green on it then threw some left over amor all on it for chits and giggles and honestly it looks brand new and it cleaned up the look of the rear a ton... ill grab a pic later if it quits raining... give it a shot, it'll look a thousand times better

everything looks great man! i repainted my rear when i replaced the axles and it looks sooo much better :nice:

i will throw the car in the air tomorrow and ill give it a whirl!

:OT: Can I just say how jealous I am that you have a lift at your house.. We have 2 seperate sheds for our cars besides the one connected to our house but still no lift :( that will be on my list 1 day down the road for sure.. it makes life so much easier and saves your back!

This is funny. I just finished installing my UPR CA's and while I was at it, cleaned up that nasty rusted rear axle also similar to the same way you did. Rustoleum covered with appliance gloss. You did a great job! :nice:

IMG_4183R.jpg

If you really want to clean up the tank, you can machine polish it with something like Adam's or equivelant. Once to do it, periodic cleaning with everything else is all that's required.

Replacing the drive shaft and CA's definately help the appearance and performance, but of course, cost money. Removing that rear balancer will drop about 20 lbs of eye soar and it doesn't cost you anything.