Finally! AFR/FTI Dyno AND Track Results are In

94DreamGT

Founding Member
Jul 19, 2000
Indiana
Good weekend…got my car on the dyno Friday night and then took it to the race track Saturday as the weather held out for once. This was a long time coming as I did the heads/cam back in early March and have wanted to get numbers for it since that time.

Before I get into the Dyno figures and Track times, I want to make a few disclaimers (excuses :D )

1) Car is running on 100% stock EEC tune. No aftermarket chip, program, shift retard in effect still, etc… All I’ve done is fiddle with idle, fuel pressure, and timing.
2) I am using a BOX STOCK Cobra Intake, no port work or gasket matching…still has all casting flash. Ed Curtis recommended I get a Performer for maximum performance.
3) I’m using 3.73 gears, when Ed recommended 4.10’s. I was crossing the traps in 4th at 5400rpm…still had over 600rpm of usable power left on the table.
4) Car still has AC, steel driveshaft, stock 2 ¼” flowtubes/tailpipes, and stock suspension save for lowering springs (which hurt my launch).
5) This was my first time out to the track with this combo…I was just considering it a learning experience.

What I’m getting at is that there is still stuff I can do to give me another 10-15rwhp and more ET and MPH. Who knows what the tune and intake alone could do.

On to the numbers:

Dyno:
DynoGraph.jpg

As you can see, peak numbers were 304.5rwhp/331.4rwtq. I made 3 pulls, but the first one I erased as it was all sorts of wrong with fuel pressure setting etc…only make @ 270/295 with horrible AF ratio, but we soon corrected that as with a little tweaking, the very next pull netted 35rwhp/35rwtq.

I’m happy with the end result, over 1rwhp per cubic inch and I know there’s more I can do to get more horsepower. Torque curve was nice too. AF on that last pull was between 13.0-13.5 which is where I was told a NA car should be for max power.

Track:
Made 10 passes on the day. Could not get the car to hook like I wanted at all on my Nitto 275/40/17 drag radials. Best 60 foots on the day were only high 1.9’s :( Still had sway bar hooked up and I know the lowering springs hurt weight transfer. Did not power shift due to stock T5 and stock rear-end. Car was in full street mode with no short belt and only weight reduction being I removed the rear seats and got everything out of the trunk.

This was my best pass:
1289_10869.sized.jpg

My best 1/8th ET & MPH was 8.34 @ 87.38

Needless to say I was pretty happy to hit 12’s my first time out. Most of my runs were in the 12.90’s – 13.00’s and trap speeds were in the 107-108mph range all day long. Temps were in the 60-70’s with low humidity, so good racing weather. My personal favorite pass of the day was a 13.0 @ 108 with a 2.14 60’. Hmmm….can’t help but wonder what that could be with a 1.7 or 1.8 60’.

I know there is more left in the car in my driving, with shifting and obviously the launch. Put on the top of that my future plans to get a Performer Intake, a Tune, and maybe 4.10 Gears, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this car could be in the low 12’s with some practice. Obviously I would need some ET Streets and a beefier rear-end, but it seems to have the power. Money will be tight for awhile, so those items probably won’t be anytime in the near future though.

Maybe I can do a few little things later this summer and hit up some cooler weather in the fall and see what she can do. I think I’m going to shoot Ed Curtis a little thank you email as I already hit the original goals I was shooting for my first time out :nice:

Although this was mainly all good news, there was some bad. The car is burning oil pretty bad. She was smoking a pretty good amount the whole weekend. This is new since the heads/cam and I can’t imagine it’s the rings as they never did it before and the car only has 67,000 miles on it and its not the usual symptoms of valve seals or other suspect problems. I’m going to do some more investigating later as its obviously not hurting my power and just enjoy the car and how its running right now.

A few pics from this weekend:

On the dyno
P5280043.sized.jpg

This was me lining up with NXGTS (on the Corral). That car is seriously mean with a high compression 393 EFI w/ AFR 225’s, big FTI cam, etc…etc… I think I got the holeshot on him and held him off til a little past the 60’ mark, then he blew by me like I was standing still.
ME_Heath.sized.jpg

End result of one of my passes later in the day:
tower.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

AWESOME NUMBERS!!! If you went that fast on the first time out, you may very well have a ringer on your hands. It took me a few months to get to a 12.8, and I didn't hit 108mph in street trim until this past april!!! CONGRATS! Definitely get the 4.10's. Your 1/8th mile is exactly like mine, but I pull a little more MPH from the 1/8th mile on.

Thanks Paul! Your car is probably the main reason I went the AFR/FTI route, so I should probably direct some of the credit towards you.

I KNOW there is more in it, that's what makes the times such a bonus...I really didn't expect to hit these until the end of the year.

Very nice numbers dude. Your graph is practically a spitting image of mine. Where did you set your fuel pressure? What about timing? Your a/f ratio is sweet, I wish mine coulda been like that when I had 24's. I'll email you my a/f graph if you wanna see that clusterfcuk of an a/f lol. I wanna put mine back on the dyno and dial everything in.

Mike

Man great numbers and great times! Things can only get better too with 4.10's, Tweecer, and sticky tires. I wouldn't ditch your intake though, maybe get Tom to work it over? Almost everyone is going with the Edel/AFR/FTI combo (because it works) but it is cool that you are running something a little different.

Thanks everyone.

mytight95: The idle with the FTI cam is what you make of it. If you want it to idle low and sound nasty (which it does), then you have to deal with some surging and dying due to loss of vacuum etc... Easy solution, which I did for awhile, is bump up the idle to 900rpm and its a sound as a stocker, although you don't hear much of the lope. And in keeping with tradition of the FTI cam guys, i won't give out my exact specs, although I will say duration is in the low 220's with lift over .550" and an LSA of 111.

Grn92LX: Funny story here. That first pull on the dyno that only got me 270/295 showed an air fuel of almost 16:1 :eek: :eek: :eek: FP on that was about 39psi...BUT...I will say I have reason to believe my guage is broken. I bumped it up to 45psi and she spit out the 304/331. Timing is about 17* give or take a degree. I would like to see your graph for comparison...shoot it to me at [email protected]

final50: Thanks for your help a few months back...you answered some questions for me, and when I ever get around to a TwEECer, expect some more :)

I know 4.10's would be perfect for this combo, but I don't know if I want to do that because the 3.73's would be perfect with a power adder if I ever went that route down the road...WAY down the road.

Wow !! Impressive numbers. Congrats ! You must be happy !
It looks like your AF is closer to 13.7 which is where mine was tuned for. Bob Kennedy said he always gets the safest and best power at 13.7:1 for NA setups . I questioned him on that and stated that I had always read that 13.1 was perfect. His reply was that he'd set the AF where ever I wanted. At that point I backed off and said "that's OK, I'll let a pro do his work..lol".
He figures that if I go with a custom cam I'll see 15-20 hp more but also better area under the curve. Maybe next year.
Your graph looks great and with a dyno tune the area under the curve will only get better , plus you'll likely see some better peaks by playing with the timing curve since your AFR looks good right now.

What were your STD numbers?

Rick

94DreamGT said:
And in keeping with tradition of the FTI cam guys, i won't give out my exact specs, although I will say duration is in the low 220's with lift over .550" and an LSA of 111.

Holy lord.. my FTI cam is a 110 LSA.. I hope to correct the idle issues as easily as you have. :D :nice:

Sweet...Nice numbers all around... :nice: I dont think any excuses are needed...sounds like she's running the balls.... :banana: , except that oil??? maybe its woofing if thru the intake somewhere..It wouldnt be the 1st...yank the upper and youll get a look see real quick...and its not all that crazy to do...