Finally drove car after 1.5 years!!!

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
So some of you know that my car got stolen 1.5 years ago and they took everything from the radiator to the driveshaft. I've been buying parts for a year, and then building and tuning it for 6 months. In the last week Ive gotten it aligned and dynoed so its finally done after so long. I drove it all around, and smoked some yuppy in his sad little accord, lol. I even got pulled over after doing 80 in a 45, but he let me go. I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs perform and then drank all night at my friends. I had a great night, and the Mustang is way better than I remember and the pull from any gear is incredible. Tomorrow I finally drag race. If anyone doubts their project or they want to quit, DONT. Just keep saving, working, thinking, planning, and dreaming, and finally it will all come true. Seems cheesy, but if you just keep working at it you'll get to where you want. I cant believe its finally over. The stuff I've been through in the last year to get this thing going again. Good luck to anyone in the same situation, Scot Rod

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sorry to hear that it got stolen, the same thing happend to mine also about 1.5 years ago... funny... Anyway I'm glad to hear that it came out so good. I'm gonna start a new project this summer. Keep us posted with times.

Congrats on on getting your Stang back on the road. :nice: The car in my sig has been my daily driver for the past 9.5 years and now that I'm having engine troubles I think it's time to begin restoring it. I should've bought a second car years ago :notnice: now I don't have a choice.

SmockDoiley said:
So some of you know that my car got stolen 1.5 years ago and they took everything from the radiator to the driveshaft. I've been buying parts for a year, and then building and tuning it for 6 months. In the last week Ive gotten it aligned and dynoed so its finally done after so long. I drove it all around, and smoked some yuppy in his sad little accord, lol. I even got pulled over after doing 80 in a 45, but he let me go. I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs perform and then drank all night at my friends. I had a great night, and the Mustang is way better than I remember and the pull from any gear is incredible. Tomorrow I finally drag race. If anyone doubts their project or they want to quit, DONT. Just keep saving, working, thinking, planning, and dreaming, and finally it will all come true. Seems cheesy, but if you just keep working at it you'll get to where you want. I cant believe its finally over. The stuff I've been through in the last year to get this thing going again. Good luck to anyone in the same situation, Scot Rod

I'm not quite in your situation, but I just finished the H/C/I swap and the car hasn't run worth a s*** since. Its been about 4 months since I've had a good run in the car, but this post at least gives me some hope....

SmockDoiley said:
If anyone doubts their project or they want to quit, DONT. Just keep saving, working, thinking, planning, and dreaming, and finally it will all come true. Seems cheesy, but ...

Hardly so. I know exactly what you mean. I have a lot of little (and some big projects) waiting their day. I think each one thoroughly before "taking it to the garage". If I'm not happy or at ease about starting a project, I try to think about a different one and postpone the other one. If I can find the time to do it right, then I need to find the will to do it right too. Once a project turns out the way it should have, I rarely have to go back to it.

I think I actually remember your post about your stolen car; didn't you get it back minus drivetrain? Didn't seem like that long ago....... Either way, it's cool that you got it back together. Post some times once you make some runs with it.

everysince i put my car in the ditch i havnt drove it engine is out and being re-built. I have a vortech supercharger,re-build kit,girdle/windage tray,custom cam waiting to go in and saveing for afr 185cc heads. Every since about 2 or 3 weeks ago the stangs have come back out and they sound so sweet but soon i will have my fun also.

Congrats on the comeback. A lot of people just throw in the towl when something like that happens. Rebuilding bigger and better than it was before it was stolen helps put it behind you. I used to be into stereos. When my subs and amp got stolen, it was always on my mind until I replaced it with better subs and 4 amps, after that I laughed at the thieves thinking "you got the crappy one!" Now you can think of who stole your drivetrain and say "you got my old junk" although it still sucks, your back at it again.

Through this season, I plan to get my suspension upgraded along with other components, but leaving the engine mostly alone. Then this comming late fall tearing it down and doing a serious upgrade, like a FTI combo with a new shortblock and, maby having it painted, so by spring I'll have it all working perfectly.

Thats funny!! I was thinking about that because my old combo was a 100k+ 86 block with 86 heads, lol. The only think they got were cheesy crane roller rockers, intake, demon carb, headers, and 3550 tranny that slightly grinded in second if you drove it hard. Have fun with that buddy!!! Still its hard. I really have a problem going somewhere with the car and leaving it in a parking lot. Everytime I come back to the car and say another car is parked in front of it so I cant see it, my heart falls for a second because I cant see it, like it got stolen again. Then I quickly walk around the car until I can see it. Usually like a Suburban will be parked next to it and since the mustang is small, the spot I was in almost looks empty.